~patches~

Default Chicken broth

Dwayne wrote:

> I would taste it and see if it needs anything else. Since I am on a low
> salt diet, I make it up by adding garlic powder and more pepper, but that is
> me. My wife complains that it is too hot (fromthje pepper). Do you can? I
> like to put an entire chicken into a pan full of water and can what I have
> left.
>
> Dwayne

Dwayne, I know you're into canning so here's a pic of a couple of my
stocks - chicken & the darker one is beef. Once the stock cools there
is a slight haze due to whatever fat remains in the stock. There will
also be a little sediment on the bottom of the jars. I simply shake the
jar prior to using it.
http://tinypic.com/eq5npf.jpg

For your pleasure here is a pic of my canned chicken. I like canning it
in the small 250 ml widemouth jars. It's convenient to have a few jars
of canned meat on hand.
http://tinypic.com/eq5pcj.jpg

> "biig" > wrote in message ...
>
>> What is everyone's no fail recipe for a good chicken stock? I have
>>two leg quarters simmering with onion, carrot, celery and a "bit" of
>>salt. What else would you all put in. This will be used for a chicken
>>and wild rice soup found on CD Kitchen website. This will be my first
>>attempt at making stock from scratch. Thanks....Sharon

biig, my stock have never failed me but I don't really have a recipe. I
don't use any salt in my stocks. For chicken I use the whole carcass,
onion with the skin left on for richer colour, carrot, celery leaves,
bay leaf, peppercorns, & if feeling a little adventurist a little white
wine is good. For beef, I use a soup bone & pretty much the same
veggies as for chicken as well as a tomato & worchestershire sauce.
Instead of white wine a little red wine or a little beer if I feel like.