Elko Tchernev

Default Eastern European "Wine"?

Michael Pronay wrote:
> Elko Tchernev > wrote:
>
>>Michael, would you please share your experiences (when you have
>>time, of course)?

> Well, it's not my first trip (I was in Macedonia last year), and
> the wines met my expectations: all the range from undrinkable to
> very, very good.

No surprise here; it goes with the terroir

> I have some 70 TNs, but in German, of course. I do remember a
> lovely dry sparkler from Skovin (MK), a fine Sauvignon Blanc from
> Stirbey (RO) and quite a few other excellent wines.

Is there a bias I'm detecting here, Michael - that you tasted/liked
mostly white wines? I, for example, did not taste a single white wine
while in BG; there were so many reds to explore. Did they tell you about
the Bulgarian folk song we have, that goes something like: "Oh, there
you are, white wine; why on earth aren't you red?"
BTW, did you taste/like the Chateau Euxinograd chards? They are
supposed to be the best Bulgarian whites.

>>>I was not talking about "h" or "x", only describing the letter.
>>>Anyhow - why "zh" and not "j", as "Jean-Jack" would suggest?

>>Maybe because of the convention of the Western Slavists for
>>transliterating Cyrillic?

> Rather a convention of anglophone slavists? My German
> encyclopaedia (Brockhaus, 1980), gives "z^" (ok, a z with a
> hacek):

Maybe. It is the convention that uses the basic Latin set of 26
letters only; no umlauts or hasheks.

>>I don't know what DK's

> Who is DK?

I don't know. The poster who wrote that <<The letter is ""zh", not
"h" or "x".>> You were asking him/her <<why "zh" and not "j">>

> Just a Moment. What looks like "b" ist the softener. A "b" with a
> top tail to the left has been given as a schwa (is that what you
> mean by the sound of "but"?),

Exactly.

> while a "b" with the top tail to the
> right is the actual B.