Gary Alan

Default Eastern European "Wine"?

I received a bottle from a friend traveling in Eastern Europe, and I don't
know what it is. I think it is either a wine or a liqueur. Some of the clues
are cyrillic name that looks like "MAHACTHPKA", some plums on the label, and
a 45% numeric designation. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Gary

Ken Blake

In ,
Gary Alan > typed:

> I received a bottle from a friend traveling in Eastern Europe,
> and I
> don't know what it is. I think it is either a wine or a
> liqueur. Some
> of the clues are cyrillic name that looks like "MAHACTHPKA",
> some
> plums on the label, and a 45% numeric designation. Any ideas?

Slivovitz.

"MAHACTHPKA" in cyrillic is "manastirka" in roman. See
http://www.super-import.com/manastirka.htm

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Michael Pronay

"Ken Blake" > wrote:

>> Some of the clues are cyrillic name that looks like
>> "MAHACTHPKA", some plums on the label, and a 45% numeric
>> designation. Any ideas?

> Slivovitz.

= plum brandy

M.
Michael Pronay

Mike Tommasi > wrote:

>> = plum brandy

> Used as liquid fuel for the Soyuz space program. Some gets
> burned to get into orbit. The rest is not wasted.

I got a bottle of Ukranian(?) ***** "KOHbRK" (the "R" is mirrored,
tail to the left) = KOGNAK as a gift. The brand name is "XAH-XAK"
(where the "X" has an additional vertical middle |). Luckily they
identify it in the logo as "Jean-Jack" - which I find a very
curious Anglo-French concoction.

M.
Anders Tørneskog

"Michael Pronay" > skrev i melding
> .. The brand name is "XAH-XAK"
> (where the "X" has an additional vertical middle |).

Hi
That would be ? if it gets through - an aspirative J, like in french "Jean",
I believe.
:-) Anders

Gary Alan

Thanks for the information. This label is completely in cyrillic, no hint as
to contents, I hadn't a clue. The link was excellent. Thanks.
Gary

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> In ,
> Gary Alan > typed:
>
>> I received a bottle from a friend traveling in Eastern Europe, and I
>> don't know what it is. I think it is either a wine or a liqueur. Some
>> of the clues are cyrillic name that looks like "MAHACTHPKA", some
>> plums on the label, and a 45% numeric designation. Any ideas?

> Slivovitz.
>
> "MAHACTHPKA" in cyrillic is "manastirka" in roman. See
> http://www.super-import.com/manastirka.htm
>

> --
> Ken Blake
> Please reply to the newsgroup

Joseph B. Rosenberg

Caution: What you have may destroy your mouth and esophagus. My late
Grandfather, Hyman used to drink slivovitz with the morning prayers. Before
he put on the tefillin and tallis, he had to have his wake me up. the
bottle said plum brandy so it sounded mild--after every Passover I got a
buzz from the Concord from Mother Shapiro and me & Charlie Giadana got
blitzed on his grandmother's rum cake. My grandpa looked at me looking at
him throwing down the schnapps, he took the bottle and said "nem" which
means take-so I did in one gulp. Oh vey as soon as the liquid made contact
with my mouth it was ablaze, no Indian pepper or Mexican chile ever seared
my tongue like that; my tongue and the roof of my palate were under attack.
As I gagged and grandpa laughed, a bit went down my throat. I put the glass
down and rushed to the bathroom while my grandfather who never even cracked
a smile was laughing his ass off. It was another ten years before I had hard
liquor again, which I guess was his intent.
"Gary Alan" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the information. This label is completely in cyrillic, no hint

as
> to contents, I hadn't a clue. The link was excellent. Thanks.
> Gary
>
> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> > In ,
> > Gary Alan > typed:
> >
> >> I received a bottle from a friend traveling in Eastern Europe, and I
> >> don't know what it is. I think it is either a wine or a liqueur. Some
> >> of the clues are cyrillic name that looks like "MAHACTHPKA", some
> >> plums on the label, and a 45% numeric designation. Any ideas?

> > Slivovitz.
> >
> > "MAHACTHPKA" in cyrillic is "manastirka" in roman. See
> > http://www.super-import.com/manastirka.htm
> >

> > --
> > Ken Blake
> > Please reply to the newsgroup

Ken Blake

In ,
Gary Alan > typed:

> Thanks for the information.

You're welcome. Glad to help.

> This label is completely in cyrillic, no
> hint as to contents, I hadn't a clue. The link was excellent.
> Thanks.

I have the advantage of being able to read the Cyrillic alphabet.
I don't know any Russian, or any other language written in
Cyrillic, but I know the alphabet (long complicated story that I
won't bore you with).

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

> "Ken Blake" > wrote in message
>> In ,
>> Gary Alan > typed:
>>
>>> I received a bottle from a friend traveling in Eastern
>>> Europe, and I
>>> don't know what it is. I think it is either a wine or a
>>> liqueur.
>>> Some of the clues are cyrillic name that looks like
>>> "MAHACTHPKA",
>>> some plums on the label, and a 45% numeric designation. Any
>>> ideas?

>> Slivovitz.
>>
>> "MAHACTHPKA" in cyrillic is "manastirka" in roman. See
>> http://www.super-import.com/manastirka.htm
>>

>> --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please reply to the newsgroup

Elko Tchernev

Michael Pronay wrote:
> (DK) wrote:
>
> Anyhow, being back from a 10 day wine trip to the Balkans
> (Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia, Monenegro),

Michael, would you please share your experiences (when you have
time, of course)? I myself am back from a 3-week stay in Bulgaria (not
for wine-tasting purposes only, unfortunately), and found the wine scene
frizzling, as it were .

> this helped
> very much in deciphering Cyrillic. The inverted "R" is "ya". What
> about the "b", btw, they told me it's a kind of "softener"?

Yes, it softens the consonant it succeeds. When between a consonant
an a vowel, it turns the vowel into an umlaut. (In Bulgarian, this is
only used to turn o into ö, because the other umlauts are either not
used, or have dedicated letters of their own).

>>The letter is ""zh", not "h" or "x".

> I was not talking about "h" or "x", only describing the letter.
> Anyhow - why "zh" and not "j", as "Jean-Jack" would suggest?

Maybe because of the convention of the Western Slavists for
transliterating Cyrillic? I don't know what DK's reasons for writing it
that way are, but from what I remember, the convention is to use 'zh'
for the letter (and for the sound in "Jean"), while 'j' is used for the
umlauts: your letter "inverted R" is transliterated as 'ja'. In this
convention, for Bulgarian, 'y' is used to represent the sound 'uh' (the
sound for u in "but" or "Bulgaria"), where the Cyrillic letter is the
one similar to the "b" you're talking about, but with a tail on top.

--
No, no, you can't e-mail me with no no.

Elko Tchernev

Michael Pronay wrote:
> Elko Tchernev > wrote:
>
>>Michael, would you please share your experiences (when you have
>>time, of course)?

> Well, it's not my first trip (I was in Macedonia last year), and
> the wines met my expectations: all the range from undrinkable to
> very, very good.

No surprise here; it goes with the terroir

> I have some 70 TNs, but in German, of course. I do remember a
> lovely dry sparkler from Skovin (MK), a fine Sauvignon Blanc from
> Stirbey (RO) and quite a few other excellent wines.

Is there a bias I'm detecting here, Michael - that you tasted/liked
mostly white wines? I, for example, did not taste a single white wine
while in BG; there were so many reds to explore. Did they tell you about
the Bulgarian folk song we have, that goes something like: "Oh, there
you are, white wine; why on earth aren't you red?"
BTW, did you taste/like the Chateau Euxinograd chards? They are
supposed to be the best Bulgarian whites.

>>>I was not talking about "h" or "x", only describing the letter.
>>>Anyhow - why "zh" and not "j", as "Jean-Jack" would suggest?

>>Maybe because of the convention of the Western Slavists for
>>transliterating Cyrillic?

> Rather a convention of anglophone slavists? My German
> encyclopaedia (Brockhaus, 1980), gives "z^" (ok, a z with a
> hacek):

Maybe. It is the convention that uses the basic Latin set of 26
letters only; no umlauts or hasheks.

>>I don't know what DK's

> Who is DK?

I don't know. The poster who wrote that <<The letter is ""zh", not
"h" or "x".>> You were asking him/her <<why "zh" and not "j">>

> Just a Moment. What looks like "b" ist the softener. A "b" with a
> top tail to the left has been given as a schwa (is that what you
> mean by the sound of "but"?),

Exactly.

> while a "b" with the top tail to the
> right is the actual B.

That's correct.

--
No, no, you can't e-mail me with no no.
Michael Pronay

Elko Tchernev > wrote:

[Wine from the Balkans]

>> Well, it's not my first trip (I was in Macedonia last year),
>> and the wines met my expectations: all the range from
>> undrinkable to very, very good.

> No surprise here; it goes with the terroir

;-)

>> I have some 70 TNs, but in German, of course. I do remember a
>> lovely dry sparkler from Skovin (MK), a fine Sauvignon Blanc
>> from Stirbey (RO) and quite a few other excellent wines.

> Is there a bias I'm detecting here, Michael - that you
> tasted/liked mostly white wines?

No, just coincidence. I had beautiful reds, too, but these simply
were the ones I remembered without looking up my TNs.

> I, for example, did not taste a single white wine while in BG;
> there were so many reds to explore. Did they tell you about the
> Bulgarian folk song we have, that goes something like: "Oh,
> there you are, white wine; why on earth aren't you red?"

Sorry, no.

> BTW, did you taste/like the Chateau Euxinograd chards? They are
> supposed to be the best Bulgarian whites.

Sorry, no, once again.

>>> Maybe because of the convention of the Western Slavists for
>>> transliterating Cyrillic?

>> Rather a convention of anglophone slavists? My German
>> encyclopaedia (Brockhaus, 1980), gives "z^" (ok, a z with a
>> hacek):

> Maybe. It is the convention that uses the basic Latin set of 26
> letters only; no umlauts or hasheks.

Thank you.

>>> I don't know what DK's

>> Who is DK?

> I don't know. The poster who wrote that <<The letter is ""zh",
> not "h" or "x".>> You were asking him/her <<why "zh" and not
> "j">>

Oh, I see. thanks once again.

M.