Michael Pronay

Default Eastern European "Wine"?

(DK) wrote:

>> I got a bottle of Ukranian(?) ***** "KOHbRK" (the "R" is
>> mirrored, tail to the left) = KOGNAK as a gift. The brand name
>> is "XAH-XAK" (where the "X" has an additional vertical middle
>> |). Luckily they identify it in the logo as "Jean-Jack" - which
>> I find a very curious Anglo-French concoction.

> What you identify as "XAH-XAK" is in fact Cyrillic for
> "Jean-Jack".

In fact I knew that - the logo helped to transliterate.

Anyhow, being back from a 10 day wine trip to the Balkans
(Romania, Bulgaria, Macedonia, Serbia, Monenegro), this helped
very much in deciphering Cyrillic. The inverted "R" is "ya". What
about the "b", btw, they told me it's a kind of "softener"?

> The letter is ""zh", not "h" or "x".

I was not talking about "h" or "x", only describing the letter.
Anyhow - why "zh" and not "j", as "Jean-Jack" would suggest?

M.