Sara

Default Can this clay pot be saved?

Hi,

While cleaning out an elderly relative's basement, I found an old clay
roaster. It's unglazed except for the area where the food would sit.
Because the roaster had sat in the basement for at least 20 years, with
the dirt, spiders, mice and other assorted critters, I attempted to
clean it up using Lysol and detergent. Now that I am researching how
to use the pot, I realize I may have done exactly the wrong thing.

Does anyone have any suggestions how to resurrect this pot? I was
thinking of soaking it in water then heating it up in the oven, maybe a
half-dozen times or so, to attempt to leach the Lysol and soap out of
it. Would this work or is the pot a lost cause?

Thanks,

Sara