Bob (this one)

Default Avocado preservation and recipes

Fred wrote:

> "Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
>>favourite avocado recipes are. I tend to just eat them cut open and
>>sprinkled with a little salt, but they also taste great in my home-made
>>sushi hand rolls (not very authentically Japanese, but well....)
>>
>>Another thing is, I don't go to the grocery store very often so I buy back
>>a few avocadoes at a time. What is the best way to preserve them - put them
>>in the fridge? Can they be frozen and thawed successfully?

> I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but I'll
> make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening process.

That's quite correct. Avocados are damaged by refrigeration (or cold
weather). It's a problem for growers and shippers that's getting a lot
of research.

> If
> you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right you'll have
> them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our house.
> We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never ever
> refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at room
> temperature than refrigerated.

Yep. Open storage slows ripening because ethylene gas isn't
concentrated that way. To hasten ripening, put into a paper bag with a
banana or an apple.

Pastorio