Angela Faye Oon

Default Avocado preservation and recipes

Hi,

I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
favourite avocado recipes are. I tend to just eat them cut open and
sprinkled with a little salt, but they also taste great in my home-made
sushi hand rolls (not very authentically Japanese, but well....)

Another thing is, I don't go to the grocery store very often so I buy back a
few avocadoes at a time. What is the best way to preserve them - put them in
the fridge? Can they be frozen and thawed successfully?

Thanks,
Angela

Katra

In article >,
"Angela Faye Oon" > wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
> favourite avocado recipes are. I tend to just eat them cut open and
> sprinkled with a little salt, but they also taste great in my home-made
> sushi hand rolls (not very authentically Japanese, but well....)
>
> Another thing is, I don't go to the grocery store very often so I buy back a
> few avocadoes at a time. What is the best way to preserve them - put them in
> the fridge? Can they be frozen and thawed successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Angela

I refrigerate mine at 40 degrees F.
If I choose the right ones, (I'll get them in various stages of ripeness
depending on how and when I plan to eat them) and most Haas will stay
good for 7 to 10 days if I get it right. ;-)

HEB sells vacuum packed halved avocados that keep even longer.

Got a food saver?

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

Fred

"Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
> favourite avocado recipes are. I tend to just eat them cut open and
> sprinkled with a little salt, but they also taste great in my home-made
> sushi hand rolls (not very authentically Japanese, but well....)
>
> Another thing is, I don't go to the grocery store very often so I buy back

> few avocadoes at a time. What is the best way to preserve them - put them

in
> the fridge? Can they be frozen and thawed successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Angela

I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but I'll
make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening process. If
you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right you'll have
them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our house.
We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never ever
refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at room
temperature than refrigerated.

I realize you don't believe me. Just check with your grocer or avocado
producer. Take care.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

kilikini

"Fred" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message

(snip)

> I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but I'll
> make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening process.

If
> you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right you'll

have
> them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our

house.
> We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never ever
> refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at room
> temperature than refrigerated.
>
> I realize you don't believe me. Just check with your grocer or avocado
> producer. Take care.
>
> Fred
> The Good Gourmet
> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Fred, I agree with you even tho we may get a ton of disagreers. When I buy
local (maui) avocados it's so hard to tell if they're ripe because the
outside is almost always hard and it never turns black. When I know an
avocado is underripe, I stick it in the 'fridge to ripen it faster. When
it's closer to being ripe, I put it in a paper bag and leave it under the
sink. Works every time.

kili

Iona Dickey

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> "Fred" > wrote in message
> . net...
> >
> > "Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message

> (snip)
>
> > I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but

I'll
> > make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening process.

> If
> > you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right you'll

> have
> > them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our

> house.
> > We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never ever
> > refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at room
> > temperature than refrigerated.
> >
> > I realize you don't believe me. Just check with your grocer or avocado
> > producer. Take care.
> >
> > Fred
> > The Good Gourmet
> > http://www.thegoodgourmet.com
> >

> Fred, I agree with you even tho we may get a ton of disagreers. When I

buy
> local (maui) avocados it's so hard to tell if they're ripe because the
> outside is almost always hard and it never turns black. When I know an
> avocado is underripe, I stick it in the 'fridge to ripen it faster. When
> it's closer to being ripe, I put it in a paper bag and leave it under the
> sink. Works every time.
>
> kili

Just like Bananas.

kilikini

"Iona Dickey" > wrote in message

> "kilikini" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Fred" > wrote in message
> > . net...
> > >
> > > "Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message

> > (snip)
> >
> > > I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but

> I'll
> > > make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening

process.
> > If
> > > you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right

you'll
> > have
> > > them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our

> > house.
> > > We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never

ever
> > > refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at

room
> > > temperature than refrigerated.
> > >
> > > I realize you don't believe me. Just check with your grocer or

avocado
> > > producer. Take care.
> > >
> > > Fred
> > > The Good Gourmet
> > > http://www.thegoodgourmet.com
> > >

> > Fred, I agree with you even tho we may get a ton of disagreers. When I

> buy
> > local (maui) avocados it's so hard to tell if they're ripe because the
> > outside is almost always hard and it never turns black. When I know an
> > avocado is underripe, I stick it in the 'fridge to ripen it faster.

When
> > it's closer to being ripe, I put it in a paper bag and leave it under

the
> > sink. Works every time.
> >
> > kili

> Just like Bananas.

Yep!
kili

Frogleg

>"Angela Faye Oon" > wrote
>>
>> I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
>> favourite avocado recipes are. I tend to just eat them cut open and
>> sprinkled with a little salt, but they also taste great in my home-made
>> sushi hand rolls (not very authentically Japanese, but well....)
>>
>> Another thing is, I don't go to the grocery store very often so I buy back

>> few avocadoes at a time. What is the best way to preserve them - put them

>in
>> the fridge? Can they be frozen and thawed successfully?

http://www.avocado.org/

has information on California avocados. I find the large, thin-skinned
Florida varieties distinctly inferior.

Freezing pretty much destroys the unprocessed fruit, although
guacamole is somewhat edible after freezing. A fully-ripe avocado can
be preserved a day or 2 in the 'fridge. They ripen at 'room
temperature', and ripening can be accelerated by placing in a bag with
an apple.

Recipes mostly involve guacamole, slices in sandwiches, slices or
chunks in salads, and some pretty bizarre soup or ice cream
suggestions that have failed to capture the public imagination/palate.
Bob (this one)

Fred wrote:

> "Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
>>favourite avocado recipes are. I tend to just eat them cut open and
>>sprinkled with a little salt, but they also taste great in my home-made
>>sushi hand rolls (not very authentically Japanese, but well....)
>>
>>Another thing is, I don't go to the grocery store very often so I buy back
>>a few avocadoes at a time. What is the best way to preserve them - put them
>>in the fridge? Can they be frozen and thawed successfully?

> I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but I'll
> make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening process.

That's quite correct. Avocados are damaged by refrigeration (or cold
weather). It's a problem for growers and shippers that's getting a lot
of research.

> If
> you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right you'll have
> them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our house.
> We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never ever
> refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at room
> temperature than refrigerated.

Yep. Open storage slows ripening because ethylene gas isn't
concentrated that way. To hasten ripening, put into a paper bag with a
banana or an apple.

Pastorio

Mr. Wizard

"Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
> favourite avocado recipes are. I tend to just eat them cut open and
> sprinkled with a little salt, but they also taste great in my home-made
> sushi hand rolls (not very authentically Japanese, but well....)
>
> Another thing is, I don't go to the grocery store very often so I buy back

> few avocadoes at a time. What is the best way to preserve them - put them

in
> the fridge? Can they be frozen and thawed successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Angela

Interesting you prefer simple preparation.
The Indio's I lived with in Chihuahua liked them very simple as well.
They only used salt, comino and cayenne to spice them.
They stored them in the pantry with plenty of ventilation.
They don't freeze at all but if you can vacuum pack the
seeded and skinned pulp it will last for 2-3 months in the fridge.

Angela Faye Oon

Thanks so much to everyone who suggested that I shouldn't refrigerate
avocadoes. I've learnt a lot about this fruit! I'm still surprised, though,
that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving "cooking".
Still, I do love it as it is.

Angela

"Fred" > wrote in message
. net...

> I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but I'll
> make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening process.

If
> you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right you'll

have
> them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our

house.
> We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never ever
> refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at room
> temperature than refrigerated.
>
> I realize you don't believe me. Just check with your grocer or avocado
> producer. Take care.
>
> Fred
> The Good Gourmet
> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

PENMART01

> "Angela Faye Oon"
>
>Thanks so much to everyone who suggested that I shouldn't refrigerate
>avocadoes. I've learnt a lot about this fruit! I'm still surprised, though,
>that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving "cooking".

Now that you've perused all the speculative misinformation learn the real deal
he http://www.avocado.org

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Frogleg

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:11 +0800, "Angela Faye Oon"
> wrote:

>Thanks so much to everyone who suggested that I shouldn't refrigerate
>avocadoes. I've learnt a lot about this fruit! I'm still surprised, though,
>that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving "cooking".

Probably for the same reason there aren't many popular recipes for
tomato muffins or blueberry soup. Note qualifiers of "many" and
"popular." Avocados in salads, guacomole, on sandwiches, in shushi are
the most common uses. There *are* recipes for soup, ice cream, and
bread, but most prefer their avocados in traditional form.
www.avocado.org has a recipes for avocado smoothies, as well as about
as many different avocado recipes I've seen gathered in one spot. As
much as I enjoy avocados, most don't sound very appealing to me.
smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:11 +0800, "Angela Faye Oon"
> wrote:

>Thanks so much to everyone who suggested that I shouldn't refrigerate
>avocadoes. I've learnt a lot about this fruit! I'm still surprised,

though,
>that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving

"cooking".
>Still, I do love it as it is.
>
>Angela
>
>"Fred" > wrote in message
.net...

>> I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion

but I'll
>> make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening

process.
>If
>> you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right

you'll
>have
>> them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at

our
>house.
>> We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never

ever
>> refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at

room
>> temperature than refrigerated.
>>
>> I realize you don't believe me. Just check with your grocer or

avocado
>> producer. Take care.
>>
>> Fred
>> The Good Gourmet
>> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

As someone who grows avocados, I'd like to mention that when avocados
get ripe, I do put them in the icebox to kind of hold the ripening in
abeyance. You can get a few extra days. I don't know how this
compares with "Fred" above. It certainly is avocado season around
here in South Kona and we have buckets of Sharwil's to give away.
They are the yummy best and average about a pound each.
aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Mr. Wizard

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:11 +0800, "Angela Faye Oon"
> > wrote:
> >I'm still surprised, though,
> >that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving "cooking".

> Probably for the same reason there aren't many popular recipes for
> tomato muffins or blueberry soup. Note qualifiers of "many"...
> www.avocado.org has a recipes for avocado smoothies, as well as about
> as many different avocado recipes I've seen gathered in one spot. As
> much as I enjoy avocados, most don't sound very appealing to me.

Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
on storage and ripening.
There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.
If you want to make Guacamole like Gringos......
chopped up garlic (ok but not traditional)
chopped up onion (kills the nutty flavor)
lime or lemon juice (makes it bitter)
tomatoes (makes it watery and bitter)
sour cream (barf)
Mayo (double barf)
cream cheese (Is there no God?)
goat cheese (You have got to be kidding)
pistachio nuts (?????)

Felice Friese

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
om...

> "Frogleg" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:11 +0800, "Angela Faye Oon"
> > > wrote:
> > >I'm still surprised, though,
> > >that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving "cooking".

> > Probably for the same reason there aren't many popular recipes for
> > tomato muffins or blueberry soup. Note qualifiers of "many"...
> > www.avocado.org has a recipes for avocado smoothies, as well as about
> > as many different avocado recipes I've seen gathered in one spot. As
> > much as I enjoy avocados, most don't sound very appealing to me.
> >

> Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
> on storage and ripening.
> There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.
> If you want to make Guacamole like Gringos......
> chopped up garlic (ok but not traditional)
> chopped up onion (kills the nutty flavor)
> lime or lemon juice (makes it bitter)
> tomatoes (makes it watery and bitter)
> sour cream (barf)
> Mayo (double barf)
> cream cheese (Is there no God?)
> goat cheese (You have got to be kidding)
> pistachio nuts (?????)

OK, now we know what NOT to put in a guacamole. What a novel recipe
approach!

Felice

smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:12:51 GMT, "Mr. Wizard" >
wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:11 +0800, "Angela Faye Oon"
>> > wrote:
>> >I'm still surprised, though,
>> >that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving

"cooking".

>> Probably for the same reason there aren't many popular recipes for
>> tomato muffins or blueberry soup. Note qualifiers of "many"...
>> www.avocado.org has a recipes for avocado smoothies, as well as

about
>> as many different avocado recipes I've seen gathered in one spot.

As
>> much as I enjoy avocados, most don't sound very appealing to me.
>>

>Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
>on storage and ripening.
>There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.
>If you want to make Guacamole like Gringos......
>chopped up garlic (ok but not traditional)
>chopped up onion (kills the nutty flavor)
>lime or lemon juice (makes it bitter)
>tomatoes (makes it watery and bitter)
>sour cream (barf)
>Mayo (double barf)
>cream cheese (Is there no God?)
>goat cheese (You have got to be kidding)
>pistachio nuts (?????)

I checked out the site too and was reminded that the group of
California Avocado growers has an enormous amount of money and an
equal amount of political clout that has managed for decades to keep
our own Kona avocadoes from even landing in California.

When I tried to look up Sharwil's on their site, it isn't even
mentioned and here in Hawaii it is the premium avocado, so their site
is not really about avocadoes as much as themselves. Haas are small
and dark little avocadoes.

It is a political machine. The crummy recipe cited above illustrates
that their focus is on making their avos the best and little else.

aloha Thunder who loves avocadoes.
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
Mr. Wizard

"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:12:51 GMT, "Mr. Wizard" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:11 +0800, "Angela Faye Oon"

> "cooking".
> >>
> >> Probably for the same reason there aren't many popular recipes for
> >> tomato muffins or blueberry soup. Note qualifiers of "many"...
> >> www.avocado.org has a recipes for avocado smoothies, as well as

> about
> >> as many different avocado recipes I've seen gathered in one spot.

> As
> >> much as I enjoy avocados, most don't sound very appealing to me.
> >>

> >Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
> >on storage and ripening.
> >There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.
> >If you want to make Guacamole like Gringos......
> >chopped up garlic (ok but not traditional)
> >chopped up onion (kills the nutty flavor)
> >lime or lemon juice (makes it bitter)
> >tomatoes (makes it watery and bitter)
> >sour cream (barf)
> >Mayo (double barf)
> >cream cheese (Is there no God?)
> >goat cheese (You have got to be kidding)
> >pistachio nuts (?????)
> >

> I checked out the site too and was reminded that the group of
> California Avocado growers has an enormous amount of money and an
> equal amount of political clout that has managed for decades to keep
> our own Kona avocadoes from even landing in California.
>
> When I tried to look up Sharwil's on their site, it isn't even
> mentioned and here in Hawaii it is the premium avocado, so their site
> is not really about avocadoes as much as themselves. Haas are small
> and dark little avocadoes.
>
> It is a political machine. The crummy recipe cited above illustrates
> that their focus is on making their avos the best and little else.

Aloha,
I did some work at Pearl some years ago and remember fondly
the fantastic avocados. My favorite way to prepare them
was to stuff them with chicken and cheese and deep fry them.
I cut them in half, skinned and seeded them and scooped
a little of the middle out, a big spoonful of the pulled chicken
eggwashed, fine bread crumbs and deep fry.

Nancy Young

smithfarms pure kona wrote:

> I checked out the site too and was reminded that the group of
> California Avocado growers has an enormous amount of money and an
> equal amount of political clout that has managed for decades to keep
> our own Kona avocadoes from even landing in California.

I suppose that means you can't mail us some. I'd pay. Bummer.

nancy
smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 17:55:02 -0500, Nancy Young
> wrote:

>smithfarms pure kona wrote:
>
>> I checked out the site too and was reminded that the group of
>> California Avocado growers has an enormous amount of money and an
>> equal amount of political clout that has managed for decades to

keep
>> our own Kona avocadoes from even landing in California.

>I suppose that means you can't mail us some. I'd pay. Bummer.
>
>nancy

Sorry Nancy. Big bummer. We have so many good ones right now that it
would be my pleasure to spread them around. We can mail them to other
islands but not to the US.
aloha,
Cea
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
smithfarms pure kona

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:52:03 GMT, "Mr. Wizard" >
wrote:

>"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:12:51 GMT, "Mr. Wizard" >
>> wrote:
>>

>> >"Frogleg" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> "cooking".

for

>> about

spot.
>> As
>> >>
>> >Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
>> >on storage and ripening.
>> >There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.
>> >If you want to make Guacamole like Gringos......
>> >chopped up garlic (ok but not traditional)
>> >chopped up onion (kills the nutty flavor)
>> >lime or lemon juice (makes it bitter)
>> >tomatoes (makes it watery and bitter)
>> >sour cream (barf)
>> >Mayo (double barf)
>> >cream cheese (Is there no God?)
>> >goat cheese (You have got to be kidding)
>> >pistachio nuts (?????)
>> >

>> I checked out the site too and was reminded that the group of
>> California Avocado growers has an enormous amount of money and an
>> equal amount of political clout that has managed for decades to

keep
>> our own Kona avocadoes from even landing in California.
>>
>> When I tried to look up Sharwil's on their site, it isn't even
>> mentioned and here in Hawaii it is the premium avocado, so their

site
>> is not really about avocadoes as much as themselves. Haas are

small
>> and dark little avocadoes.
>>
>> It is a political machine. The crummy recipe cited above

illustrates
>> that their focus is on making their avos the best and little else.
>>

>Aloha,
>I did some work at Pearl some years ago and remember fondly
>the fantastic avocados. My favorite way to prepare them
>was to stuff them with chicken and cheese and deep fry them.
>I cut them in half, skinned and seeded them and scooped
>a little of the middle out, a big spoonful of the pulled chicken
>eggwashed, fine bread crumbs and deep fry.

I hesitate to admit that I have never deep fried anything because of a
childhood trauma but that doesn't stop me when someone offers
something deep fried to me Your avocado recipe sounds fantastic. I
have made luncheon salads in the same manner without frying, of
course. We put avocadoes in everything, sandwiches of any sort,
salads, use them instead of mayo, make sure the dogs get enough <g>.,
wild chickens love them as do the wild pigs. Sprinkle them with a
little salt and pouring ketchup in the middle are two basic favorites.
I'll have one for dinner and think of you all at rec.food.cooking.
aloha, Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Koko

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 14:41:50 +0800, "Angela Faye Oon"
> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
>favourite avocado recipes are.

snip

I like to eat them sprinkled with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar.

Here is a recipe I found in the latest issue of Saveur magazine. I
haven't tried it but it looks very good.

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Suco de Banana e Abacate (Banana-Avocado drink)

beverages

1/2 large avocado, ripe; pitted and peeled
2 bananas, ripe; peeled
1/2 cup low-fat milk
1 tablespoon Sugar

Puree until smooth. Divide between 2 tall glasses

This combination of fruits is believed to soothe the stomach.

Contributor: Saveur magazine Jan/Feb issue

Yield: 2 servings

Koko

A Yuman being on the net
(posting from San Diego)
Frogleg

wrote:

>"Frogleg" > wrote

>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 19:34:11 +0800, "Angela Faye Oon"
>> > wrote:
>> >I'm still surprised, though,
>> >that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving "cooking".

>> Probably for the same reason there aren't many popular recipes for
>> tomato muffins or blueberry soup. Note qualifiers of "many"...
>> www.avocado.org has a recipes for avocado smoothies, as well as about
>> as many different avocado recipes I've seen gathered in one spot. As
>> much as I enjoy avocados, most don't sound very appealing to me.
>>

>Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
>on storage and ripening.

Check the FAQs.

>There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.
>If you want to make Guacamole like Gringos....

<snip>

Well, there are several recipes there. A little tricky in that one
needs to choose 'appetizers' and 'guacamole' as search terms.
Guacamole is, basically, mashed avocado. What do *you* consider
"traditional"? Huh? Poke, poke. I like *my* recipe (fork-mashed with
lemon juice, teensy diced onion, Tobasco (*my* tradition, 'though now
I add Thai chile flakes instead) and ground pepper.
Mr. Wizard

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:12:51 GMT, "Mr. Wizard" >
> wrote:
> most don't sound very appealing to me.
> >>

> >Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
> >on storage and ripening.

> Check the FAQs.
>
> >There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.

The FAQ's still don't discuss keeping the fruit in a cool dark place
with plenty of venilation. The Avacado, a staple for millennia,
is best stored in this fashion. The Aztecs and their descendents
still store them this way even if they have access to refrigeration.
Their simple preparation method, grinding salt, cumin and chile
in a molcajete and smashing the avacados in with that mix, is more
than a thousand years old. That is what I would call "Traditional".

Frogleg

On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:28:16 GMT, smithfarms pure kona

>>> www.avocado.org

>>Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
>>on storage and ripening.
>>There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.

>I checked out the site too and was reminded that the group of
>California Avocado growers has an enormous amount of money and an
>equal amount of political clout that has managed for decades to keep
>our own Kona avocadoes from even landing in California.

Having never had any but Calif., or Florida avocados (which I don't
care for), I'm unqualified to comment on the Hawaiian variety. The
avocado site is certainly an outlet of Calif. producers. I'm partial
because those are the ones I prefer, and the .org sent me a nice
mousepad. Given the current price of the Calif. variety, I doubt I
could afford a Maui one even if they *were* offered.
Mr. Wizard

"Mr. Wizard" > wrote in message
m...

> "Frogleg" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:12:51 GMT, "Mr. Wizard" >
> > wrote:
> > most don't sound very appealing to me.
> > >>
> > >Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
> > >on storage and ripening.

> > Check the FAQs.
> >
> > >There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.

The FAQ's still don't discuss keeping the fruit in a cool dark place
with plenty of venilation. The Avacado, a staple for millennia,
is best stored in this fashion. The Aztecs and their descendents
still store them this way even if they have access to refrigeration.
Their simple preparation method, grinding salt, cumin and chile
in a molcajete and smashing the avacados in with that mix, is more
than a five hundred years old. That is what I would call "Traditional".

smithfarms pure kona

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:44:57 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:28:16 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 16:12:51 GMT, "Mr. Wizard" >
>>wrote:
>>

>>>"Frogleg" > wrote

>>>Amen to that. Too bad the site also lacks the basic information
>>>on storage and ripening.
>>>There is not one recipe on the website for traditional Guacamole.

>>I checked out the site too and was reminded that the group of
>>California Avocado growers has an enormous amount of money and an
>>equal amount of political clout that has managed for decades to

keep
>>our own Kona avocadoes from even landing in California.

>Having never had any but Calif., or Florida avocados (which I don't
>care for), I'm unqualified to comment on the Hawaiian variety. The
>avocado site is certainly an outlet of Calif. producers. I'm partial
>because those are the ones I prefer, and the .org sent me a nice
>mousepad. Given the current price of the Calif. variety, I doubt I
>could afford a Maui one even if they *were* offered.

Kona, Hawaii Island is where they grow best, not Maui Island.
They/Calvado have been a powerful advocate for their own avocadoes.
Glad you got a nice mouse pad as I do believe they are well funded,as
I said.
aloha from Kona,
Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

>Thanks so much to everyone who suggested that I shouldn't refrigerate
>avocadoes. I've learnt a lot about this fruit! I'm still surprised,

though,
>that there aren't more recipes for it, especially involving

"cooking".
>Still, I do love it as it is.

Try "The Avocado Cookbook" ISBN 0 85835 559 0, it covers everything
from Soups to Desserts.

Neil McMullen
Please reply to Group as my email is fake.
kilikini

"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:44:57 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 18 Feb 2004 22:28:16 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
> > wrote:

> >>I checked out the site too and was reminded that the group of
> >>California Avocado growers has an enormous amount of money and an
> >>equal amount of political clout that has managed for decades to

> keep
> >>our own Kona avocadoes from even landing in California.

> >Having never had any but Calif., or Florida avocados (which I don't
> >care for), I'm unqualified to comment on the Hawaiian variety. The
> >avocado site is certainly an outlet of Calif. producers. I'm partial
> >because those are the ones I prefer, and the .org sent me a nice
> >mousepad. Given the current price of the Calif. variety, I doubt I
> >could afford a Maui one even if they *were* offered.

> Kona, Hawaii Island is where they grow best, not Maui Island.
> They/Calvado have been a powerful advocate for their own avocadoes.
> Glad you got a nice mouse pad as I do believe they are well funded,as
> I said.
> aloha from Kona,
> Thunder
> http://www.smithfarms.com
> Farmers & Sellers of 100%
> Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

I don't know, Thunder. Our local avocados have a nice, rich buttery texture
that I prefer over a Haas any day. Someday I'll hop over to your neck of
the woods and sample one of your Big Island avos, but for now, I'm quite
happy with Maui's.

kili

smithfarms pure kona

On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:02:53 GMT, "kilikini"

wrote:

Guacamole.

>> keep
>> >
>> >Having never had any but Calif., or Florida avocados (which I

don't
>> >care for), I'm unqualified to comment on the Hawaiian variety. The
>> >avocado site is certainly an outlet of Calif. producers. I'm

partial
>> >because those are the ones I prefer, and the .org sent me a nice
>> >mousepad. Given the current price of the Calif. variety, I doubt

>> >could afford a Maui one even if they *were* offered.

>> Kona, Hawaii Island is where they grow best, not Maui Island.
>> They/Calvado have been a powerful advocate for their own avocadoes.
>> Glad you got a nice mouse pad as I do believe they are well

funded,as
>> I said.
>> aloha from Kona,
>>

>I don't know, Thunder. Our local avocados have a nice, rich buttery

texture
>that I prefer over a Haas any day. Someday I'll hop over to your

neck of
>the woods and sample one of your Big Island avos, but for now, I'm

quite
>happy with Maui's.
>
>kili

No hard feelings Kili. I was trying to tell the poster ahead of me
that I was from Kona and not Maui. I was not talking about Haas either
as we have Sharwil and Yamagata. Every island has great avocadoes but
I think we have more "wild" lands here than Maui, and avocadoes are
everywhere-- the junk kinds grow wild here in Kona. I often see
tourist rescuing a road roller". No wind and perfect microclimate so
avos are everywhere.

Have a good dinner.
aloha,
Thunder
http://www.smithfarms.com
Farmers & Sellers of 100%
Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff
kilikini

"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 01:02:53 GMT, "kilikini"
> > wrote:
>
> >"smithfarms pure kona" > wrote in message
> .. .

> Guacamole.

(snip)

> >> Kona, Hawaii Island is where they grow best, not Maui Island.
> >> They/Calvado have been a powerful advocate for their own avocadoes.
> >> Glad you got a nice mouse pad as I do believe they are well

> funded,as
> >> I said.
> >> aloha from Kona,
> >>

> >I don't know, Thunder. Our local avocados have a nice, rich buttery

> texture
> >that I prefer over a Haas any day. Someday I'll hop over to your

> neck of
> >the woods and sample one of your Big Island avos, but for now, I'm

> quite
> >happy with Maui's.
> >
> >kili
> >

> No hard feelings Kili. I was trying to tell the poster ahead of me
> that I was from Kona and not Maui. I was not talking about Haas either
> as we have Sharwil and Yamagata. Every island has great avocadoes but
> I think we have more "wild" lands here than Maui, and avocadoes are
> everywhere-- the junk kinds grow wild here in Kona. I often see
> tourist rescuing a road roller". No wind and perfect microclimate so
> avos are everywhere.
>
> Have a good dinner.
> aloha,
> Thunder
> http://www.smithfarms.com
> Farmers & Sellers of 100%
> Kona Coffee & other Great Stuff

Thanks about the dinner part! We're getting the coals ready to slap on some
Kalbi-style ribs now. My SO is a GREAT griller so these should be tasty.
He marinated them in sesame oil, shoyu, touch of brown sugar, ginger, garlic
and chives. Yummy! Wish I could throw you one! <g>

kili

Frogleg

On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:44:15 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
> wrote:

>On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:44:57 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

>>Given the current price of the Calif. variety, I doubt I
>>could afford a Maui one even if they *were* offered.

>Kona, Hawaii Island is where they grow best, not Maui Island.
>They/Calvado have been a powerful advocate for their own avocadoes.
>Glad you got a nice mouse pad as I do believe they are well funded,as
>I said.
>aloha from Kona,

Oops. I got confused about the island names. Let's say I have a
feeling a Hawaiian avocado would be prohibitively expensive here. You
simply would not *believe* the price of papayas! :-)
kilikini

"Frogleg" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:44:15 GMT, smithfarms pure kona
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:44:57 GMT, Frogleg > wrote:

> >>Given the current price of the Calif. variety, I doubt I
> >>could afford a Maui one even if they *were* offered.

> >Kona, Hawaii Island is where they grow best, not Maui Island.
> >They/Calvado have been a powerful advocate for their own avocadoes.
> >Glad you got a nice mouse pad as I do believe they are well funded,as
> >I said.
> >aloha from Kona,

> Oops. I got confused about the island names. Let's say I have a
> feeling a Hawaiian avocado would be prohibitively expensive here. You
> simply would not *believe* the price of papayas! :-)

Frogleg, at my old house I grew fantastic papayas in my yard, I don't have a
yard where I'm at now so I went to the grocery store to buy papayas. You
wouldn't *believe* the price we pay for them either! :-) And mangos, oh,
and pineapples even!

kili

Tanya Quinn

Warm avocado and proscuitto salad

Mesclun salad mix (baby greens)
2 baby cucumbers (thinly sliced)
1 or 2 avocados (sliced)
2 tbsp pine nuts
6 thin slices prosciutto
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp brown sugar
1 tsp dijon mustard

Put the cucumber and avocado slices over the salad, toast the pine
nuts, fry the prosciutto briefly. Mix the dressing ingredients in a
small bowl, then tip in the prosciutto, and pour it all over top. Add
the pine nuts to the top.

I'm not sure the amount of the mesclun.. a couple good sized handfuls
work well.

U of GA food preservation course George Shirley Preserving 5 03-08-2008 09:50 AM
lettuce preservation Deadmoney Walking General Cooking 11 31-01-2007 08:00 AM
lettuce preservation Deadmoney Walking General Cooking 1 30-01-2007 02:00 AM
Wine Preservation RyanTaylor Wine 6 19-11-2005 08:28 AM
Preservation System? Cactus888 Wine 3 02-03-2004 11:51 PM