kilikini

Default Avocado preservation and recipes

"Fred" > wrote in message
. net...

> "Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message

(snip)

> I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but I'll
> make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening process.

If
> you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right you'll

have
> them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our

house.
> We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never ever
> refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at room
> temperature than refrigerated.
>
> I realize you don't believe me. Just check with your grocer or avocado
> producer. Take care.
>
> Fred
> The Good Gourmet
> http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

Fred, I agree with you even tho we may get a ton of disagreers. When I buy
local (maui) avocados it's so hard to tell if they're ripe because the
outside is almost always hard and it never turns black. When I know an
avocado is underripe, I stick it in the 'fridge to ripen it faster. When
it's closer to being ripe, I put it in a paper bag and leave it under the
sink. Works every time.

kili