Fred

Default Avocado preservation and recipes

"Angela Faye Oon" > wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I've really developed a taste for avocadoes and I'd like to know what your
> favourite avocado recipes are. I tend to just eat them cut open and
> sprinkled with a little salt, but they also taste great in my home-made
> sushi hand rolls (not very authentically Japanese, but well....)
>
> Another thing is, I don't go to the grocery store very often so I buy back

> few avocadoes at a time. What is the best way to preserve them - put them

in
> the fridge? Can they be frozen and thawed successfully?
>
> Thanks,
> Angela

I created a bunch of controversy last time I made this suggestion but I'll
make it again. Refrigerating avocado speeds up the blackening process. If
you keep your avocados at room temperature until they feel right you'll have
them right every time. By the way, avocados are a pantry item at our house.
We always have them in stock, have for 30 years and they are never ever
refrigerated. I have consistently had longer life from avocados at room
temperature than refrigerated.

I realize you don't believe me. Just check with your grocer or avocado
producer. Take care.

Fred
The Good Gourmet
http://www.thegoodgourmet.com