Robert Green

"~patches~" > wrote in

> Robert Green wrote:
>
> > Forgive me if I am in the wrong place, but I'm looking for advice on how

> > label storebought frozen food. If there's a hint of moisture on the
> > surface, most marking pens just stop writing.
> >

> A wide tip *Sharpie* marker should work.

I should have mentioned that I have tried every type of Sharpie and CD
marking pen in existence. The dry-erase board marker seemed to lay on the
thickest line and didn't *immediately* break up into tiny, fractured ink
drops but it's gone after the first freezer shuffle - it flakes right off.

Sharpies only work as long as you dry each box very thoroughly with an
absolutely dry paper towel in a room with low relative humidity and you
write almost immediately after wiping. As soon as the marker tip begins to
wick up even a little water, it's lights out.

I thought china markers, a.k.a. grease pencils would work, but they hardly
leave a mark on the surface of a waxed carton. I have a Marks-a-lot that's
so big, you can hardly write two words with it without nearly passing out
from the fumes, but it, too suffers from the same problem. The slightest
bit of condensation and the pen tip gets wet and will write no more.

I occasionally see labels stuck to frozen food cartons by the grocer that
appear to have been stuck on after the boxes were frozen (the box apparently
was accidentally slit or broken open and they used a label to re-close it).
There must be some sort of freezer-friendly label stock I can use or someone
out there who's found something that works. Arrrgh! I've spent a lot of
time at Google without much luck. :-(

--
Bobby G.