graham

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message
news

> "graham" > wrote in message

>> cloying smells in just about every shopping mall!
>> Therefore, I have just adapted your recipe and made maple-walnut buns
>> instead. I've posted the results to yahoo

>> I reduced the sugar by 40g and substituted 40g of maple syrup instead.
>> After rolling out and brushing with butter, I sprinkled 115g of coarse

> maple
>> sugar and 100g chopped walnuts over the dough and rolled as instructed.
>> After baking I brushed the tops with maple syrup.
>> Next time, I'll replace all the sugar in the dough with maple syrup and
>> adjust the flour accordingly. This is the first time I've ever made this
>> type of roll/bun and I know now that it won't be the last!
>> Again, thanks for the recipe.
>> Graham

> You might consider using some maple flavoring in the dough. Unless you
> are
> using genuine maple syrup, you are using maple flavoring anyway. The
> flavoring would allow you to greatly increase the maple flavor, even
> beyond
> what using maple or maple flavored syrup would permit. I wonder how the
> gluten and browning characteristics would be effected using all maple
> syrup
> instead of sugar. I'm sure Roy would know. Again, adding the maple flavor
> to a glaze applied to the warm rolls would be another way to increase the
> flavor.

I was using #1 grade Canadian maple syrup. I'm not keen on using any
artificial flavours but the total replacement of the sugar with syrup may be
sufficient, along with the maple syrup painted on the rolls when they come
out of the oven. Sometimes a nice, subtle flavour is better than the
"hit-you-in-the-face" sensation one gets from supermarket and shopping mall
concession cinnamon rolls.
I really like your dough recipe! I'm using eggs from an organic farm and
the yolks are deep yellow so the dough has a really pleasing color.
Graham