Un Known

On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 19:25:59 +0000, Dada wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Sep 2005 08:10:59 -0400, Un Known > wrote:
>
> I think, for what I know, it is a good one. I bought it in a biological
> shop where they have rare products and this is, in addiction, from the
> transfair trade.
> I think this is the link. Unfortunately only in italian
> http://www.opappece.it/commercioequo/mate.html But they talk more about
> the social problem then the MATE quality. I don't have any experience to
> understand in what consist: shade or sun one. I think with a little
> experience you can distinguish, isn't? What makes you say one has grown in
> shade and another not? For exemple, green japanese teas have a "sea-test"
> that oder don't. Is it something similar with MATE?
> For now I'll do my experience with that, and after I wish to try this
> Guayaki or something of the same quality.
>
>> [quoted text muted]

Yes, you are probably right there. Guayaki has really made inroads into
the U.S., they are based in California. Here in the U.S. (I live in the
U.S.), it can be found in more and more places as time moves forward.
Whether or not it can be found in Italy, I don't know. Certainly you could
probably order it from them in California over the internet, but it seems
to me that the situation, realistically, is that there are probably many,
many quite good brands of yerba mate that are available in South America
and other places that are not available in the U.S.

It's difficult here in the states because there isn't really a lot of
selection. It's Guayaki or else some unknown (more or less). Not sure how
popular Guayaki is in Europe, or if it's available at all. When I first
started drinking it here about 5 years ago or so, it wasn't really
available anywhere - I had to mail order it. Now it's everywhere and I
don't really drink it much anymore.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there is a larger selection of
high-quality yerba mate available in Europe. It does sound like from what
you describe that you have a fairly good quality one.