Old 10-09-2005, 03:30 PM
Dada

Default Mate

Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good.
I would like to know if any one of you have some experience with this
kind of infusion. I know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink
should like it.
About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction
are not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in
Brasil to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a
poor, simple tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss
(it is written on the package) used an handful of it for one person. I
poured it by rough estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I
made a good mate. How many tea spoons do you use usually?
The MATE I bought has broken lieves inside: any quality has so? Do you
know any site or book about this drink?
I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't.
Thanks

Old 10-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Derek

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:21 GMT, Dada wrote:

[...]

Mate is traditionally consumed from a gourd (pumpkin) through a
bombilla (straw with a filter screen at the bottom).
Traditionally/historically, bombillas were wooden. These days, they're
mostly metal.

The gourd is filled 3/4 full with loose mate, sometimes sugar, and
then topped off with boiling water. It is then consumed through the
bombilla, which keeps the leaves in the gourd. When the mate water is
completely drained, more water is added. This process is repeated
several times with no appreciable decrease in flavor - although the
steeping time gets longer. (at least that's my experience).

As you noted, the amount used is typically dependent upon the size of
the container. And it's likely that, outside of a gourd, you're not
going to do the heavy infusions that are traditionally consumed.

You already answered to your own question, in my opinion. You said
your mate tasted good. If it tastes good to you, that's what really
counts. It may not be the typical way of making it, but it works for
you.

Otherwise, you'll need to get yourself a gourd and bombilla and try it
the "traditional" way.

You can find more information at: http://www.noborders.net/mate/

--
Derek

The journey of a thousand miles sometimes ends very, very badly.
Old 10-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Dada

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:35:15 -0400, Derek wrote:

Yes, I agree with you. The only doubt I had was if I have tried the
real taste of MATE or not. Maybe it can be a nonsense question, but
thinking to green tea it cannot. If you try a Sencha using boiling
water, it's probable you won't obtain the real Sencha taste. Isn't
true?
How many time have you repeated infusion without loosing quality?
I think I am going in the Amazonic forest to take my gourd and cut it
in the right way to drink MATE. Maybe it would be simplier to buy it.
How did you got it? Did you found the gourd and bombilla in some tea
store?

Old 10-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Derek

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 16:25:23 GMT, Dada wrote:

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 11:35:15 -0400, Derek wrote:

Yes, I agree with you. The only doubt I had was if I have tried the
real taste of MATE or not. Maybe it can be a nonsense question, but
thinking to green tea it cannot. If you try a Sencha using boiling
water, it's probable you won't obtain the real Sencha taste. Isn't
true?

True. My experience with Mate was with a friend who brought it up to
the US from Argentina. He had his own gourd and bombilla.

How many time have you repeated infusion without loosing quality?

I think we got three refills of the gourd before my friend restocked
it.

I think I am going in the Amazonic forest to take my gourd and cut it
in the right way to drink MATE. Maybe it would be simplier to buy it.
How did you got it? Did you found the gourd and bombilla in some tea
store?

I think it's simpler to buy it. You can probably find it online by
searching for bombilla. Here's one, for example (I searched on
bombilla mate gourd):

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/dr...7/?cpg=froogle

Derek

--
Derek

"An honor is not diminished for being shared." -- Lois McMaster Bujold
("Shards of Honor", 1986)
Old 11-09-2005, 09:30 PM
danube

On Sat, 10 Sep 2005 14:30:21 +0000, Dada wrote:

Today I have bought MATE. Very nice taste, really good. I would like to
know if any one of you have some experience with this kind of infusion. I
know it is not a tea, but I think a tea drink should like it.
About quantity: how much MATE do you use for a cup? The instruction are
not really clear. They sei 3/4 of a particuar pumpkin they use in Brasil
to drink it. I don't owe any pumpkin like that, but only a poor, simple
tea cup. 3/4 of a cup looks really a lot. Levy Strauss (it is written on
the package) used an handful of it for one person. I poured it by rough
estimate. The taste was good, but I am not sure I made a good mate. How
many tea spoons do you use usually? The MATE I bought has broken lieves
inside: any quality has so? Do you know any site or book about this drink?
I am sorry if I am off topic: i wish I don't. Thanks

Mate comes as green and as roasted tea. The green one is drunk from a
gourd and filter-straw, the roasted one is much like a black tea. The
green one is quickly bitter. Thr roasted Mate has flakey leaves, about 1 -
3mm in diameter. It is mainly drunk with sugar.

JB

Old 11-09-2005, 11:30 PM
Un Known

[...]

For some real good yerba mate, and information, check out
www.guayaki.com. You can probably find their tea bags and bulk mate at you
local natural food co-op or at Whole Foods, places like that.

It's shade-grown, in the rainforest. It's better. Not that mate, in the
gourd, in a traditional way is something that will appeal to everyone.
It's certainly not anywhere near as tasty as good tea is, but it is a
traditional drink, and there is a history and a culture behind it, and
studies have shown that mate has all the necessary nutrients in it to
sustain life. It's a food, not just a beverage.

The active ingredient is called mateine, which is a close relative to
caffeine.

It is said to energize the cerebral cortex. In any case, less precise
analysis of the caffeine content detects mateine as caffeine, and there is
750-1000mg in each gourd (if you fill up the gourd 1/2 way). It's
definitely a very, very strong pick-me-up. Stratospheric.

In any case, Guayaki's website will explain it much better than I can.

Aside from the gourd, actually, an easier way to do it is to use a french
press. Often times, the ratio of stems to leaf segments isn't right, and
the bombilla (the straw you put inside the gourd) gets clogged and it just
turns into a nasty, muddy mess. With a french press, you can avoid these
problems, but then again, with a french press, it's the difference between
drinking a thick, heavy-duty shot of espresso and a more watery standard
cup of coffee. But the french press does work, it's probably not a bad
idea to get a mini french-press, use more mate, and get more infusions out
of it. You can probably get 10 infusions or so, maybe more depending on
how much you put into the press to begin with.

But definitely try the Guayaki, it's probably one of the only brands that
can give you a feel for what it's supposed to taste like. It's the way
they dry it, the way they age for 6 months in a cedar-lined room, you can
make an incredibly, incredibly thick, strong beverage with a stratospheric
buzz and not get the bitterness, but just a smooth, smoky, juicy,
overwhelmingly energizing experience.

Personally, I like good pu-erh tea better. But I have a lot of respect for
mate, I have several gourds, etc..

P.S. If you do get the gourds, be careful with the mold. Depending on
where you live, etc... There is a way that the gourds are "seasoned", by
soaking with mate overnight, but be careful - let them dry out in the sun,
if possible. You can also consider nuking them if it's really humid,
provided you have a gourd that doesn't have the metal rim around it. Make
sure they dry out between uses (buy two or three and rotate). Otherwise
you may end up with a nasty, slimy mold problem.

Old 12-09-2005, 03:53 AM
Alex Chaihorsky

I am an avid mate drinker and this is what I have to say:

I use approx 1/3 of a gourd (or can buy them online for couple of bucks do
not buy fancy ones, but do buy the ones with a simple metal rim. I recommend
metal ones for beginners to help evade the mouth burns the rule is: "If the
bombillia is hot for your lips the mate is too hot to drink!" Otherwise if
you use my favorite bamboo ones you will often have your lips burned at the
beginning of your mate experience I love mate and drink it at least twice a
week.

Now, brewing. Several points:

1. NEVER fill mate gourd with boiling water - it will bitter. In Latin
America they say that you "burned it". Actually the target temp should be
around 65-70 Celsius. ADD boiling water when the gourd is half-empty so that
the mix would be around that temperature again. I refill many times. In LA
(Latin America) they drink one for the whole day.

2. Use 1/4 to 1/2 of your "cup"/gourd of dry mate depending on how many
times you refill. For whole day (or whole night) drinking fill 2/3 of your
gourd. For 3-4 evening refills - 1/4.

3. I like to sieve the "dust" off - loosing about 1/3 of the volume. This is
just me - it was never taught to me.

4. The sign of a well-prepared mate is some foam on the top. If you do not
have foam - you screwed up (too hot water). Even after 10 refills you will
still have some foam if you do it right.

5. Th ebest way to brew the first gourd is quite complicated:

a). Put the dry mate inside the gourd so it forms a pile aside the wall -
you will pour water aiming at the other side so mate is as much undisturbed
as possible. Place the bombilla inside mate, well covered by it. Never take
it out in-between refills. Let it sit there, on the same place till the very
end.

b) Put your teapot on the stove. After it barely warms put some water from
it onto the gourd. Just enough to barely wet the powder.

c) Repeat that several times so that the gourd is filled by more and more
hot water until the pot boils. That way the temperature inside the gourd
will be around 60-65 C. Now your water is boiled and cools slowly. Re-heat
it and add to the gourd. The mate inside is soaked in cooler water so you
need to use approx 80-90 new water to keep the temperature within 65-70. You
may gradually increase the temperature after 4-5th brew.

As soon as you failed to have foam - you know you burned the mate.

Couple of months later you will start noticing how your usual thoughts are
becoming longer and deeper than usual without any effort.

Some add orange peel, some add honey. I do take occasionally some tupelo raw
honey or Hawaiian white (kiawe) honey with my mate (tiny amounts eaten from
a tiny silver spoon) no more that 5-15 grams a night. But I do not sweeten
the drink itself.

Mate offers a nice "in-between" for green puerhs and strong large leaf
ceylons that I drink many times every day. I do not care about coffein, get
sleepy from it but some of you may be interested that matein is much milder
than coffein and actually help some folks to get sleepy.

Burning your tongue is what almost always happens to beginners. Hot tea that
you drink using your lips with an air intake off the cup ream is much less
likely to burn you than a 75 centigrade mate (far from boiling!) drawn
through the bombillia right inside your mouth. Be very careful. Drinking too
hot a mate is a leading cause for sarcophagus cancer in Latin America, where
truckers drink mate days and nights during their trans-American routes.

Sasha.

news

Old 12-09-2005, 07:49 AM
danube

Burning your tongue is what almost always happens to beginners. Hot tea
that you drink using your lips with an air intake off the cup ream is much
less likely to burn you than a 75 centigrade mate (far from boiling!)
drawn through the bombillia right inside your mouth. Be very careful.
Drinking too hot a mate is a leading cause for sarcophagus cancer in Latin
America, where truckers drink mate days and nights during their
trans-American routes.

Sasha.

surely the sarcophagus comes *after* cancer of the esophagus?

JB

Old 12-09-2005, 12:47 PM
Nancy

Dada

I suggest you go to www.wisdomwands.com they have a glass straw that is
perfect for mate as well as other teas. It is much better for you
than the metal straws. The glass straw is heat resistant and will not
burn your lips like the metal straw. I use it for other teas as well
and it is a very convenient way to brew tea in a cup.

Enjoy your mate!
Linda

Yerba Mate zxcvbob General Cooking 4 26-07-2010 08:40 PM
Yerba Mate zxcvbob General Cooking 12 21-06-2010 06:43 PM
[OT] I'll miss my mate, Ed. st.helier[_1_] Wine 4 14-01-2008 02:06 AM
Yerba Mate Robert Tea 0 11-12-2003 12:38 AM
Where to buy Yerba Mate! beejhorton Tea 1 07-11-2003 01:11 PM