Vox Humana

"Chuck" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 07 Sep 2005 10:51:34 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> > wrote:
>
> >>Vox Humana wrote on 06 Sep 2005 in rec.food.baking

> >> The crumbs don't make a dough. It looks like you figured out how to
> >> work with it. You could add more butter if you want. I generally put
> >> the mixture in the bottom of the pan and use a glass or mug to tamp it
> >> down and up the sides of the pan. Of course, it won't go to the top,
> >> just up an inch or two.
> >>

> >A dash of cinnamon helps the taste in a graham waffer crust.

> We cut the New York style cheesecake today.. served with Comstock
> brand blueberry pie filling.. Best cheesecake I've ever eaten... and
> I try it every where I see it offered! (just ask my doctor..)
>
> Here's were I got the recipe
> http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/re...s/views/102592
> (My next cheesecake is going to be a "Key Lime Cheesecake" from the
> same site..)
> I didn't use a water bath as I need to buy a pan the right
> shape/depth.
> It didn't crack, looked great, tasted even better.
> I always read the reviews prior to trying new recipe.. as I did this
> time.. Following others suggestions, I made the following
> adjustments to recipe: Initial temperature of 500 degrees F. for 10
> minutes then change temperature to 200 degrees, opening door of oven 5
> inches for 2 minutes to let it cool to 200 a little quicker. Then cook
> at 200 for about 1 hr 40 minutes.
>
> Now new problem... I cut the cheesecake at work.. now everyone wants
> one! Considering the low cook temp (200 degrees) should I expect
> any problems cooking 2 or 3 cheesecakes on same rack at same time? or
> should I raise both racks higher and use top and center levels of
> oven? (this is a home, electric, non-convection oven)
> They wouldn't be too crowded, maybe turn cakes after 45 minutes or
> so? or shift those from middle shelf to top shelf and top to middle?
>
> Another question: Will freezing lemon and orange zest hurt its
> flavor? It would keep me from having to buy two lemons and two oranges
> at a time to make sure they're fresh..
> Now to find where I can get cream cheese in bulk!
>
> Thanks for the advice
> Chuck

You will find that ovens have hot spots. The back of the oven is warmer
than the front. Putting three cakes in the oven at once will probably
extend the baking time a little, The cake on the upper shelf will brown
more and be done sooner than the one on the lower shelf. If you have three
on one shelf the one in the rear will be done sooner than the one in the
front. You will have to keep an eye on them and shift the pans as
necessary.

The recipe you linked to is one that I used for some time (although I got it
from a 1960s era cookbook). It makes a substantial cake. I find that the
large number of yolks can leave a distinct "eggy" flavor. I like it, but
switched to the recipe that I posted. It is all a matter of personal
taste - and how bad can any cheesecake be? I don't think I ever had a
cheesecake that I didn't like - except for the "no bake" abominations from
boxes that taste like they came from Dupont lab.