Matthew L. Martin

Dave Bugg wrote:
> Spud wrote:
>

>>Hey Dave,

>>Hope it's doing well.

> Thanks, Spud. Up until the end of May, things were pushing past what we had
> set as our financial goals. Since then, we've been battling a huge increase
> to our cost of goods over the last three months, especially with the cost of
> gasoline and diesel. It has been pushing the cost of everything through the
> roof. And the bad news is, many of our customers eat here less frequently
> due to the way the cost-of-living is affecting them. And we haven't even
> seen the impact of Katrina yet.
>
> We are going to be forced to do a dramatic rise to our menu prices within
> the next week. We just can't afford not to any longer. I am hoping we won't
> see any more of a decrease to our customer flow, but I think it is going to
> hurt us a lot. Things aren't looking good.

I'm sorry to hear that. It's always a tough choice for the restaurant
owner when prices have to be raised. The alternatives are smaller
portions (which doesn't really help the bottom line very much) and/or a
reduction in quality.

You know your market far better than I ever could, but my opinion is:

When given the choice between a higher price and lower quality, I'd
rather keep the quality and pay the price. I've always thought your
prices were very low. I hope you can train your customers to accept
paying a bit more for great quality.

Personally, I stop going to places that sacrifice quality for price. but
that's just me. You should do what you think your market can accept.

Good luck,

You can't win
You can't break even
You can't get out of the game