Dennis Rekuta > wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:
> <Snip>
> >>1/2 cup oyster sauce

> > Is there a viable substitute to this ingredient since three of the five
> > Clan Ranger members are highly allergic to oysters and oyster sauce?
> >

> The are "vegetarian" "oyster" sauces, and there is also "oyster
> flavored" sauce, which often contain no oyster bits what so ever. Two
> other substitutes are a "vegetable stir-fry sauce" or even plain old
> hoisin sauce. The later adds a different flavor though, while the
> stir-fry sauce is usually pretty close. As always with allergies, check
> the labels. Any decent sized grocery store should have something you
> could use. An Asian grocery might not be a good idea, because some
> imported items are notorious for not putting every ingredient on the
> label.

Thanks, Dennis. The only one I was aware of is Hoisin, which I didn't
mention, because, as you've pointed out, the flavor is quite different.
My daughters have 21 Thai sauces on the sideboy by the stove, and that
doesn't include shrimp and curry pastes, the Hoisin (Chinese), MY hot
sauces, hot vinegar and hot oil, or the BBQ sauces.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families: