Grizzly

Default Beef ribs? Rub/cooking info requested

A pal o' mine said that he once had barbequed beef ribs and that they
were some of the best food he'd ever eaten.

He described them as being more...prime-rib-ish than barbequed
pork-ribs-ish: almost no sauce, not a really strong rub, etc.

Anyway, I just got a rack of beef ribs and want to try them this
weekend to surprise him (he did me a big favor a few weeks back and I
owe him one! ). Any suggestions on best rubs to use, cooking time
and/or temp (I'm using a Big Green Egg), wood to use and sauce (if
any) to use?

Thanks in advance!

Reg

Grizzly wrote:

> A pal o' mine said that he once had barbequed beef ribs and that they
> were some of the best food he'd ever eaten.
>
> He described them as being more...prime-rib-ish than barbequed
> pork-ribs-ish: almost no sauce, not a really strong rub, etc.
>
> Anyway, I just got a rack of beef ribs and want to try them this
> weekend to surprise him (he did me a big favor a few weeks back and I
> owe him one! ). Any suggestions on best rubs to use, cooking time
> and/or temp (I'm using a Big Green Egg), wood to use and sauce (if
> any) to use?

An good write up on the subject:

http://www.thesmokering.com/BeefRibs/default.jsp

Grizzly > wrote:
> A pal o' mine said that he once had barbequed beef ribs and that they
> were some of the best food he'd ever eaten.
>
> He described them as being more...prime-rib-ish than barbequed
> pork-ribs-ish: almost no sauce, not a really strong rub, etc.
>
> Anyway, I just got a rack of beef ribs and want to try them this
> weekend to surprise him (he did me a big favor a few weeks back and I
> owe him one! ). Any suggestions on best rubs to use, cooking time
> and/or temp (I'm using a Big Green Egg), wood to use and sauce (if
> any) to use?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Beef Short Ribs September 28, 2000

Marinade

2 cups soy sauce
2 cup Jack Daniels
1 cup Sriracha sauce
1/2 cup oyster sauce
juice of 2 lemons
16 cloves garlic, minced
4 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons cilantro, chopped fine
2 tablespoon black pepper, ground
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, ground
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon white pepper, ground

5 to 6 pounds bone-in beef short ribs, cut between the ribs

The night before the barbecue, combine all marinade ingredients,
except the Jack Daniels, in a lidded quart jar, adjust all
quantities to taste, then mix in the Jack Daniels and let it sit
overnight. The next morning, put the ribs in a plastic bag and pour
the marinade over them. Tie the bag closed. Turn the meat every 1/2
hour while you’re getting the smoker ready.

Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature up to
200 to 220 F. Remove the ribs from the plastic bag and pour the
marinade into a saucepan. Transfer the ribs to the smoker, fatty
side up. Add wood chips to the fire box to add smoke for the first
hour. Bring the marinade to a boil then reduce the heat to low and
keep it well below a simmer. Cook the ribs for 4 to 5 hours or
until 150° to 155° F. inside, mopping every hour with the marinade.

Remove the ribs from the smoker and let them rest for around 10
minutes. While they’re resting, add some ketchup and a little honey
to the remaining marinade, reduce and use it as a dip.

Serves 6.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:

dwåcôn

I tried cooking them in a reynolds oven bag filled with Jack Daniels and
some sliced onion. Interesting. My guests loved it.

--
Jennifer Lopez Lingerie *plus* Gourmet Goodies
www.cafepress.com/dwacon

Dennis Rekuta

The Ranger wrote:
<Snip>

>>1/2 cup oyster sauce

> Is there a viable substitute to this ingredient since three of the five
> Clan Ranger members are highly allergic to oysters and oyster sauce?

The are "vegetarian" "oyster" sauces, and there is also "oyster
flavored" sauce, which often contain no oyster bits what so ever. Two
other substitutes are a "vegetable stir-fry sauce" or even plain old
hoisin sauce. The later adds a different flavor though, while the
stir-fry sauce is usually pretty close. As always with allergies, check
the labels. Any decent sized grocery store should have something you
could use. An Asian grocery might not be a good idea, because some
imported items are notorious for not putting every ingredient on the label.

Dennis
Brick

On 2-Sep-2005, Grizzly > wrote:

> A pal o' mine said that he once had barbequed beef ribs and that they
> were some of the best food he'd ever eaten.
>
> He described them as being more...prime-rib-ish than barbequed
> pork-ribs-ish: almost no sauce, not a really strong rub, etc.
>
> Anyway, I just got a rack of beef ribs and want to try them this
> weekend to surprise him (he did me a big favor a few weeks back and I
> owe him one! ). Any suggestions on best rubs to use, cooking time
> and/or temp (I'm using a Big Green Egg), wood to use and sauce (if
> any) to use?
>
> Thanks in advance!

I cook them just like I cook spares Grizzly. I get the kind that have long
flat bones, about 5 - 6" long and 1"wide with considerable meat and fat
around and between the bones. Mine come out sloppy with grease and
get all over everything when you eat them. But, they are great with a lot
of taste of their own. They need very little seasoning if any beyond S & P.
You can cook at any temp from ~200°F to 375°F with little difference in
results other then cooking time. I've been cooking just about everything
at 275° to 325° lately. Nobody complains about the product and nothing
lasts very long.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed my mind.)

"The Ranger" > wrote:
> wrote in message
> [snip]
> > Beef Short Ribs September 28, 2000
> >
> > Marinade
> >
> > 2 cups soy sauce
> > 2 cup Jack Daniels
> > 1 cup Sriracha sauce

> Holy crow! 1 cup? That brings blisters to my tongue just reading it.

That's 20% Sriracha. If using Habanero sauce, I would use less. ;-)

> > 1/2 cup oyster sauce

> Is there a viable substitute to this ingredient since three of the five
> Clan Ranger members are highly allergic to oysters and oyster sauce?

Ya know, Kemosabe, I tried to find out where I got the original recipe, to
no avail. My wife or I may have added it because we thought it improved the
taste for us. Generally speaking, there is no substitute for Oyster sauce.
I'm trying to think of what could be done with Clam juice, if they could
handle that. Sorry about the allergies. Requires great diligence when
eating out, especially at Asian restaurants.

> > [..] While they're resting, add some ketchup and
> > a little honey to the remaining marinade, reduce and
> > use it as a dip.

> Why would you add ketchup? Body for the dip? I can understand the honey
> giving it another level of complexity but what if you added it earlier
> (as a part of the marinade)? Or would the sugar caramelize and burn
> during the smoking process?

Because we had young kids over? Because it was in the original? I don't
remember, Ranger. When I make a recipe, I always do an after-action report
that includes the mods made during prep and thoughts for future changes
(there were none of the latter in this case), so what I posted is what I
made five years ago!

BTW I now use Jim Beam as my cookin' whiskey. Old Forester fer sippin'! The
JD is resigned to lighting the lump in my chimney. Flame away!!!

Dennis Rekuta > wrote:
> The Ranger wrote:
> <Snip>
> >>1/2 cup oyster sauce

> > Is there a viable substitute to this ingredient since three of the five
> > Clan Ranger members are highly allergic to oysters and oyster sauce?
> >

> The are "vegetarian" "oyster" sauces, and there is also "oyster
> flavored" sauce, which often contain no oyster bits what so ever. Two
> other substitutes are a "vegetable stir-fry sauce" or even plain old
> hoisin sauce. The later adds a different flavor though, while the
> stir-fry sauce is usually pretty close. As always with allergies, check
> the labels. Any decent sized grocery store should have something you
> could use. An Asian grocery might not be a good idea, because some
> imported items are notorious for not putting every ingredient on the
> label.

Thanks, Dennis. The only one I was aware of is Hoisin, which I didn't
mention, because, as you've pointed out, the flavor is quite different.
My daughters have 21 Thai sauces on the sideboy by the stove, and that
doesn't include shrimp and curry pastes, the Hoisin (Chinese), MY hot
sauces, hot vinegar and hot oil, or the BBQ sauces.

--
Nick. Support severely wounded and disabled War on Terror Veterans and
their families:
http://saluteheroes.org/ & http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Beef barley soup, as requested Nancy Young General Cooking 5 05-01-2007 03:53 PM
Vodka Collins info requested General 3 22-10-2004 11:06 PM
Are beef (back) ribs the same as short ribs? Timothy Sebora Barbecue 1 15-07-2004 03:56 PM
Beef Ribs/Pork Ribs Peter Newman Barbecue 4 04-07-2004 07:47 PM
Back Ribs vs Spare Ribs - Cooking/Smoking/Grilling Bob Hayden Barbecue 6 05-01-2004 07:46 PM