Mike Avery

Randall Nortman wrote:

>On 2005-08-23, stiko > wrote:
>

>>Roy thanks for your answer! It was very helpful. Would it be a correct
>>assumption that active dry yeast need a "tepid" start with some of the
>>liquid,flour and perhaps a bit of sugar to activate it, whereas instant
>>doesn't (it's activated more readily)? The pack here desn't really explain
>>anything or give instructions, so it just leaves you wondering... And how do
>>you use yeast quantity-wise in really hot weather? Thanks for your time!
>>

>See my other response about pre-dissolving the active dry yeast. You
>shouldn't actually need the sugar, and in fact too much sugar would
>kill the yeast. A little sugar won't hurt.

Actually, since the early 1970's, I haven't bothered pre-dissolving
active dry yeast. In "Beard On Bread", James Beard said the reason for
proofing was to make sure the yeast would work, and that active dry
yeast was then so reliable proofing wasn't really needed. I add the
proofing water to the recipe, and drop the sugar as it is not needed.

>In hot weather, you can decrease the yeast or just accept that the
>rise will be much quicker (which will generally result in
>blander-tasting bread). A better solution is to mix the dough
>initially with cold water (even water straight from the refrigerator),
>so that the dough starts out cool.

A still better approach is what professional bakers call the rule of
240. Ideally, your dough should be about 78F. If it is too hot, it
finishes too quickly and is too bland. If it is too cold, it takes too
long to finish.

Practically speaking, there are four components to the temperature of
dough. These are the temperature of your bakery or kitchen, the
temperature of your flour, the temperature of your water, and the amount
of heat added in kneading.

In most bakeries, and homes, the only one of these we have effective
control over is the temperature of the water.

When you knead dough, the temperature normally rises. To find out how
much, check the temperature of your dough when it first comes together,
and then again when it comes out of the mixer. This will vary from
recipe to recipe depending on the ingredients in the dough - whole
grains have more friction and tend to heat up faster than white flours.
Until you have the numbers worked out, a good guesstimate is about 5
degrees.

Now you're ready.... Take the temperature of your bakery, and of your
flour. Subtract both from 240. Subtract the heat rise from kneading.
The answer is the temperature of your water if you want a dough at 78F.

Enjoy!
Mike

--
....The irony is that Bill Gates claims to be making a stable operating
system and Linus Torvaldis claims to be trying to take over the world...

Mike Avery mavery at mail dot otherwhen dot com
home baker ICQ 16241692
networking guru AIM mavery81230
wordsmith Yahoo mavery81230