Randall Nortman

On 2005-08-23, stiko > wrote:
> Roy thanks for your answer! It was very helpful. Would it be a correct
> assumption that active dry yeast need a "tepid" start with some of the
> liquid,flour and perhaps a bit of sugar to activate it, whereas instant
> doesn't (it's activated more readily)? The pack here desn't really explain
> anything or give instructions, so it just leaves you wondering... And how do
> you use yeast quantity-wise in really hot weather? Thanks for your time!

See my other response about pre-dissolving the active dry yeast. You
shouldn't actually need the sugar, and in fact too much sugar would
kill the yeast. A little sugar won't hurt.

In hot weather, you can decrease the yeast or just accept that the
rise will be much quicker (which will generally result in
blander-tasting bread). A better solution is to mix the dough
initially with cold water (even water straight from the refrigerator),
so that the dough starts out cool. If you pre-dissolve the yeast,
dissolve it in a small amount (1/4 cup) or warm (90F) water, but the
rest of the water should be cold. I do this even in cold weather,
because I think a longer rising time benefits most breads. (Most of
my doughs actually have their first rise overnight in the
refrigerator.)

--
Randall