Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Anny
Middon" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Here's what I'll haul to the Fairgrounds on Monday for
> > exhibit/competition at the Great Minnesota Get-Together:

> It all sounds delicious -- can't wait to see how you did!
>
> Is the BBQ sauce recipe a secret, or might you share it? It sounds
> really
> yummy!
>
> Anny

Recipe, huh? How about "guide"? :-)

* Exported from MasterCook Mac *

Cherry Chipotle Sauce - 2005

Recipe By : Barb Schaller (her very own she-dreamed-it-up-herself)
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Condiments Canning, Preserves, Etc.

36 ounces frozen sweet cherries (3 bags Dole brand)
1 cup dried cranberries
2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes
3 canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon citric acid
1/2 teaspoon garlic granules or a couple cloves of peeled
garlic
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke flavoring

WHAT I DID: Ground the frozen cherries using fine plate on grinder.
When they thawed, they were pureed. Ground the cranberries and
tomatoes. Chopped the chipotles in small Cuisinart. Combined fruits in
dutch oven and let stand a while. Added remaining ingredients and
cooked slowly for about 30 minutes. Poured into blender container and
pureed in a couple batches. Returned to boil and poured into jars,
sealed, and processed.

Pour into 6-8 prepared half pint jars. Process in a boiling water bath
for 25 minutes. I picked that time based on BBB recipe for barbecue
sauce and added 5 minutes for MN altitude.

I didn't test the pH because it seems clear to me that it's acidic
enough for safe BWB processing.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : This has a nice sneaky heat to it. Not too much.
Entered in the 2005 MN State Fair, Gedney Spicy Barbecue Sauce lot.

The 2004 version was a little different -- it involved some blackberry
and cherry jellies that hadn't sealed well and I wanted them out of the
fridge. I also used pectin in the 2004 version. My original
inspiration for this was some Harry & David brand cherry chipotle sauce.
It was some good.
_____
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> 8/3/05 New York-Vermont tab (a
couple pictures added to the 7/29 note on 8/5)