Margaret Suran

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> Bob (this one) at wrote on 7/12/05 4:39 PM:
>
>>Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge mix.

> I've used that. It's pretty darn good for a mix!!!!
> Not quite as good as my scratch brownies (a variation on Barb's often-posted
> recipe), but not bad in a pinch. (when I'm feeling either lazy or frugal). I
> keep 1 or 2 in the house at all times. When it's on sale, I pick one up.
>

>>Dehydrated raspberries in it.
>>
>>Oil. That's what this one called for.
>>

>>>I bake mostly "from scratch", but as I frequently bake for a bridge
>>>club, (free of charge ), of course), I sometimes resort to mixes.
>>>For the chocolate cake ones I use unsalted butter instead of oil,
>>>Orange Juice instead of water and I add sour cream, pudding mix and
>>>either nuts or canned sour cherries, plus chocolate chips. As there
>>>are an average of 80 players at every bridge game, using a mix is a
>>>convenience.

> I recently started baking for 25-30 people...I'm getting a reputation as the
> Mad Baker of Bridgeport. And that's not a bad thing!
>

>>>Today I will bring them three pans of Blueberry Buckle. From scratch,
>>>of course. I didn't have enough berries, so I added a couple of cups
>>>of diced fresh apricots. I hope it will be good.

> Why wouldn't it be, Margaret? It sounds wonderful! Blueberries and apricots
> go nicely together. (Also peaches or nectarines). My Mom preferred
> blueberry/peach pie to a straight blueberry pie, because it cut through the
> cloying sweet taste of the blueberries.

I have used blueberries plus fresh peaches or apricots, as well as
dried apricots which I plumped with Orange Juice. Everybody loves the
combinations. )

This week's D'Agostina's circular has an interesting recipe for Peach
Pie. It is an open pie and uses peach preserves as a glaze. I would
use apricot preserves and sprinkle Streusel over the top if I make
this pie. Also, you can use any kind of crust, such as a cookie crust
or Muerbe Teig instead of the regular pie crust.