Sheryl Rosen

Bob (this one) at wrote on 7/12/05 4:39 PM:
> Duncan Hines dark chocolate fudge mix.

I've used that. It's pretty darn good for a mix!!!!
Not quite as good as my scratch brownies (a variation on Barb's often-posted
recipe), but not bad in a pinch. (when I'm feeling either lazy or frugal). I
keep 1 or 2 in the house at all times. When it's on sale, I pick one up.

> Dehydrated raspberries in it.
>
> Oil. That's what this one called for.
>
>> I bake mostly "from scratch", but as I frequently bake for a bridge
>> club, (free of charge ), of course), I sometimes resort to mixes.
>> For the chocolate cake ones I use unsalted butter instead of oil,
>> Orange Juice instead of water and I add sour cream, pudding mix and
>> either nuts or canned sour cherries, plus chocolate chips. As there
>> are an average of 80 players at every bridge game, using a mix is a
>> convenience.

I recently started baking for 25-30 people...I'm getting a reputation as the
Mad Baker of Bridgeport. And that's not a bad thing!

>> Today I will bring them three pans of Blueberry Buckle. From scratch,
>> of course. I didn't have enough berries, so I added a couple of cups
>> of diced fresh apricots. I hope it will be good.

Why wouldn't it be, Margaret? It sounds wonderful! Blueberries and apricots
go nicely together. (Also peaches or nectarines). My Mom preferred
blueberry/peach pie to a straight blueberry pie, because it cut through the
cloying sweet taste of the blueberries.

It's funny--a few days ago, I had the wonderful opportunity to run into the
woman who was my Mom's best friend the last 10 years of her life. When I
told her what was going on in my life, and how I knew the woman who was our
mutual friend, she smiled and said "I know where you get that from...." The
two of us sat and cried, reminiscing about Mom. Of course, when she saw
Mom's ring on my finger, she burst into tears. We had a lot of happy
memories that we shared...so many happy times at our table and hers.

This baking thing...showing my love through food that I make for people--I
hadn 't thought about it, but I did get it from my Mom. Rest her soul!
---
Love like you've never been hurt
Live like there's no tomorrow
And dance like there's nobody watching