usual suspect

> he is kinda right.

No, he isn't. His article was about transfats. It wasn't about how oils
breakdown in heat. His article had nothing to do with what he said about
heating oil. I was correcting his mistake -- common among vegans and
other nitwits -- that heating turns common vegetable oils into transfats.

> i have also heard that heating oils too high can produce carcinogens.

Not quite accurate, and overheating oil isn't the only way to cause
problems. Using rancid oils is just as unhealthy. The primary issue with
lipids, though, is creating an environment for free radicals. Free
radicals cause a variety of damage through oxidation, which can lead to
cancer, heart attacks, etc.

> i don't know if that is true or not.

Like I said, not quite.

> and anyway, the sun is a carcinogen.

Too much sun is a danger, but so is too little. Don't throw the baby out
with the bathwater. That's one of the dangers vegan activists fall into
-- that because too much of something is bad, therefore any of it is bad.

> the thing that you need to know about hydrognated oils and fats is that
> hydrognation changes the molecular structure and our bodies don't like the
> new shape and can't sucessfully use them.

That, too, is not quite right. The body is able to use transfats just as
it uses other fats. The problem with them is that they suppress HDL, the
good cholesterol, and elevate LDL.

> you don't have to worry about this
> if you are using cold pressed oils.

Nonsense. Monounsaturated oils lower LDL and elevate HDL. This is
beneficial in moderating serum cholesterol levels.

> because oils can be extracted using
> chemicals and alchol which i have read leave traces in the oil.

That's BS. Solvents used for extracting oils (usually hexane) are
removed by heating the oil. Pseudoscientific ninnies object to that
heating, but it's within ~100 degrees F of the temperatures reached in
mechanical (not so cold in reality) pressing.

> just use the
> good stuff and stay away from anything that you can't tell what it is and
> everyone will be O.K.

That's not the best of advice.

> this is also why i am a little leary of splenda which is altered sugar.

Why would that make you leary? I'm sure you eat processed foods of some
sort. Those are all altered in varying degrees. Everything around you is
"altered."