Brick

On 29-Jul-2005, anon > wrote:

> dwacon > wrote:
>
> > Got to revisit an old favorite that I don't see in too many places other
> >
> > than Texas... Mongolian BBQ. I wonder why it is not more ubiquitous?

> Maybe because Mongolian BBQ is pretty nasty when you think about it:
> Unseasoned meat, veggies, and noodles cooked on an electric grill and
> drowned in a random Chinese sauce. Vietnamese "hot pots," where the meat
> is marinated and flame-grilled (or boiled) at the table to your
> preference, are a bit better, but still hardly high cuisine.

I can't imagine how anybody could/would F%^& up Mongolian BBQ that way.
Unseaseasoned meat yes, seasoning is the diner's choice.
Noodles? WTF? there ain't no noodles in Mongolian BBQ. How the hell you
figure they did that out there in the middle of the desert?
Chines sauce. Give me a break. Oil and peppers, and some spices were all
that was available.

Somebody doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Mongolian
BBQ is derived from the ingredients available to the Mongolian's while
traveling through vast wastelands. Whatever meat(s) were available.
Whatever veggie(s) were available.
Mixed together to the diners choice and then grilled on a primitive
sheet iron grill.

Mongolian BBQ today is a smorgasbord of meats, spices, sauces and vegetables
served buffet style that when selected and grilled to the diners
specifications
is a delight to be envied by the rest of the world.

To think that any reputable restaurant would present a plate as describeb
by the OP is unthinkable.The whole idea of Mongolian BBQ is that the
diner makes up their own plate.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)