dwacon

Default Visit to Texas

Got to revisit an old favorite that I don't see in too many places other
than Texas... Mongolian BBQ. I wonder why it is not more ubiquitous?

--
I made magic once. Now, the sofa is gone...
http://www.dwacon.com

eelhc

There are Mongolian BBQs elsewhere. I've been to them in NY, CA and MN
but it's never been a favoite of mine (along with salad bars, buffet's
and all you can eat type arrangements).

But you are right... they are not ubiquitous. Of course, they are not
ubiquitous (as in non-existant) in Mongolia... as with Hibachi
Restraunts in Japan.

Brick

On 19-Jul-2005, "eelhc" > wrote:

> There are Mongolian BBQs elsewhere. I've been to them in NY, CA and MN
> but it's never been a favoite of mine (along with salad bars, buffet's
> and all you can eat type arrangements).
>
> But you are right... they are not ubiquitous. Of course, they are not
> ubiquitous (as in non-existant) in Mongolia... as with Hibachi
> Restraunts in Japan.

There is (was) a Mongolian BBQ restaurant in Tiapei, Taiwan in the era of
1962. It was an outdoor restaurant with the buffet protected by a Tiki Hut
type roof. Diners were seated around tables in the open air. The dining
area was protected by a couple of electric bug zappers which worked quite
well.

The diners were provided with cereal sized bowls which they would fill from
the buffet. They would then present their bowl to a grill master who would
cook their individual portion on a convex sheetiron grill fired with char-
coal.

The buffet consisted of a multitude of shaved meats, exotic oils, mushrooms,
vegetables and peppers of every kind. Smorgasmord comes to mind. It was
a dining experience I'm not likely to forget. Taiwan has come a long way
since then, but I doubt they have improved on their Mongovian BBQ.

--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

debi

got 'em in oklahoma and missouri of all places

anon

dwacon > wrote:

> Got to revisit an old favorite that I don't see in too many places other
> than Texas... Mongolian BBQ. I wonder why it is not more ubiquitous?

Maybe because Mongolian BBQ is pretty nasty when you think about it:
Unseasoned meat, veggies, and noodles cooked on an electric grill and
drowned in a random Chinese sauce. Vietnamese "hot pots," where the meat
is marinated and flame-grilled (or boiled) at the table to your
preference, are a bit better, but still hardly high cuisine.

Pete C.

anon wrote:

> dwacon > wrote:
>
> > Got to revisit an old favorite that I don't see in too many places other
> > than Texas... Mongolian BBQ. I wonder why it is not more ubiquitous?

> Maybe because Mongolian BBQ is pretty nasty when you think about it:
> Unseasoned meat, veggies, and noodles cooked on an electric grill and
> drowned in a random Chinese sauce. Vietnamese "hot pots," where the meat
> is marinated and flame-grilled (or boiled) at the table to your
> preference, are a bit better, but still hardly high cuisine.

Apparently you've never visited a Genghis Grill franchise such as the
one in Addison, TX.

Pete C.
Brick

On 29-Jul-2005, anon > wrote:

> dwacon > wrote:
>
> > Got to revisit an old favorite that I don't see in too many places other
> >
> > than Texas... Mongolian BBQ. I wonder why it is not more ubiquitous?

> Maybe because Mongolian BBQ is pretty nasty when you think about it:
> Unseasoned meat, veggies, and noodles cooked on an electric grill and
> drowned in a random Chinese sauce. Vietnamese "hot pots," where the meat
> is marinated and flame-grilled (or boiled) at the table to your
> preference, are a bit better, but still hardly high cuisine.

I can't imagine how anybody could/would F%^& up Mongolian BBQ that way.
Unseaseasoned meat yes, seasoning is the diner's choice.
Noodles? WTF? there ain't no noodles in Mongolian BBQ. How the hell you
figure they did that out there in the middle of the desert?
Chines sauce. Give me a break. Oil and peppers, and some spices were all
that was available.

Somebody doesn't know their ass from a hole in the ground. Mongolian
BBQ is derived from the ingredients available to the Mongolian's while
traveling through vast wastelands. Whatever meat(s) were available.
Whatever veggie(s) were available.
Mixed together to the diners choice and then grilled on a primitive
sheet iron grill.

Mongolian BBQ today is a smorgasbord of meats, spices, sauces and vegetables
served buffet style that when selected and grilled to the diners
specifications
is a delight to be envied by the rest of the world.

To think that any reputable restaurant would present a plate as describeb
by the OP is unthinkable.The whole idea of Mongolian BBQ is that the
diner makes up their own plate.

A Visit Brooklyn1 General Cooking 21 06-12-2014 03:06 PM
Visit with the Mom Cindy Fuller General Cooking 2 18-04-2009 10:00 PM
visit [email protected] General Cooking 0 09-05-2007 04:00 PM
Just a last visit Pinky Winemaking 15 20-03-2006 02:04 AM
Visit limey General Cooking 14 02-03-2006 01:50 AM