ntantiques

> Recipe for your jam? The bbs in the stores are just wonderful - very
> large and sweet.
>
> Our neighbors let their blueberries rot on the bush. This year I may
> ask them if I can pick them - I will stroll over there tomorrow and see
> what is up!
>
> -L.
> (Also an OR resident)

My recipe is pretty basic, but the results are reliable. See below for
recipe. How'd you make out with the neighbors? It'd be a shame to let
all those home growns go to waste!

To answer Bob's question...we're in the gorgeous countryside outside of
Eugene - in the valley, between the MacKenzie and Mohawk Rivers. The
summer produce here puts the San Francisco Bay area to shame - and I
thought we had it pretty good there. The growing season in Oregon may
be a little later and shorter, but there are so many great sources of
good organic produce I'm just blown away. Took a look at my tomato
patch this afternoon - I am definitely going to have to buy more jars.
Never had a crop like this before - everything's growing like
weeds...including the weeds.
Nancy

Spiced Blueberry Jam (Yield: a generous 3 pints)

5 C blueberries
3T fresh lemon juice
2tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground allspice
One packet Ball Fruit Jell Pectin (I like the liquid form)
5 C sugar

Wash and roughly squish berries with potato masher. Measure crushed
berries - if short of 4 full cups mashed, add a bit of water to bring
to that amount.

Place mashed berries in a large sauce pan with all ingredients except
sugar. Stir well to mix, then bring to a full, rolling boil.

Add sugar, a cup at a time, stirring constantly.

When all of the sugar is dissolved, allow mixture to boil hard for a
full minute, continuing to stir.

Remove from heat, skim any foam (I get very little with the liquid
pectin), and stir for 5 minutes.

Ladle jam into warm, sterilized jars, leaving 1/4" space at top. Clean
rims with moist paper towel and cover jars quickly with sterilized
lids. Screw on bands and process in boiling water bath for 10-15
minutes.

Test for seal when jars have cooled.