Brick

On 17-Jul-2005, Mark Shaw > wrote:

> As noted in another thread, I'm in the middle of an extensive
> kitchen remodelling project. Actually, it's more of a tear-
> everything-down-to-the-bare-walls-and rebuild project....
>
> Anyway, I'm down to two decisions: the purchase of a garbage
> disposal and a water-filtration system.
>
> Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
> difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
> way. But for all I know perhaps there's one out there that's
> a gotta-have item for the remodeller....
>
> For years I've used one of those Pur filters that screws onto
> the faucet, and have been happy with it. The new faucet won't
> take it, though, and at any rate we're ready for something
> different. We don't have room for a whole-house system, though,
> so obviously we're looking at the under-sink ones; probably one
> of the type that filter both drinking water to a little spigot
> on the sink as well as the supply to the icemaker in the fridge.
>
> Any advice or suggestions in these two areas? Thanks!
>
> --
> Mark Shaw

Given your original post Mark, I concluded that you didn't have the space
for a central (whole house system) anywhere. Mine is 4' high and 18" in
dia. I installled it in a hall closet where the upper half serves as my
over-
flow pantry. I simply spliced into the cold water input under my Mfg'd
home so everything inside the house is filtered. The outside faucets
remain unfiltered. The unit has been installed for about three years. It
uses about 30# of salt a year. I tested my water just a couple of weeks
ago. It is clean of hardness and iron products, but shows high on akali.
We get a lot of water interruptions in our neighborhood and before the
filter, we always got mud after the water was turned back on. No longer.
The filter takes it all out and then apparently cleans itself when it gets
damned good and ready. These machines go for about $400.00 at Home
Despot. We're happy with it.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)