Mark Shaw

Default Garbage disposal & water filtration

As noted in another thread, I'm in the middle of an extensive
kitchen remodelling project. Actually, it's more of a tear-
everything-down-to-the-bare-walls-and rebuild project....

Anyway, I'm down to two decisions: the purchase of a garbage
disposal and a water-filtration system.

Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
way. But for all I know perhaps there's one out there that's
a gotta-have item for the remodeller....

For years I've used one of those Pur filters that screws onto
the faucet, and have been happy with it. The new faucet won't
take it, though, and at any rate we're ready for something
different. We don't have room for a whole-house system, though,
so obviously we're looking at the under-sink ones; probably one
of the type that filter both drinking water to a little spigot
on the sink as well as the supply to the icemaker in the fridge.

Any advice or suggestions in these two areas? Thanks!

--
Mark Shaw
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of mnshaw@
Nancy Young

"Mark Shaw" > wrote

> Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
> difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
> way.

I wouldn't bother with it, besides, you can always add it later.
Mine is more trouble than it's worth, and I didn't get a cheap
one, either. Other people will tell you they love theirs.

Also, in some places, it might be taxable on your sewer bill,
assuming you have city sewers, you'd have to check with your
township (whatever). Not advised if you aren't going the
permit route, like, don't open that can of worms.

nancy

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 17 Jul 2005 07:04:44a, Mark Shaw wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> As noted in another thread, I'm in the middle of an extensive
> kitchen remodelling project. Actually, it's more of a tear-
> everything-down-to-the-bare-walls-and rebuild project....
>
> Anyway, I'm down to two decisions: the purchase of a garbage
> disposal and a water-filtration system.
>
> Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
> difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
> way. But for all I know perhaps there's one out there that's
> a gotta-have item for the remodeller....
>
> For years I've used one of those Pur filters that screws onto
> the faucet, and have been happy with it. The new faucet won't
> take it, though, and at any rate we're ready for something
> different. We don't have room for a whole-house system, though,
> so obviously we're looking at the under-sink ones; probably one
> of the type that filter both drinking water to a little spigot
> on the sink as well as the supply to the icemaker in the fridge.
>
> Any advice or suggestions in these two areas? Thanks!

As far as a garbage disposal, I would go with In-Sink-Erator. You won't be
sorry.

Sears has a variety of undersink water filtration units which consist of
one or several cartridge filters (depending on what you want to filter).
They are economical and only require cartrige replacement about once a
year. They do, however, require a separate small faucet mounted on the
sink, similar to those used for "instant" hot water.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-6, 07/16/2005
Tested on: 7/17/2005 7:16:34 AM

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message

> Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
> difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
> way.

Not a necessity but we do use ours at times. If nothing else, it is hand
instead of clearing peelings or small dropings from a sink stariner. I
guess it depends on how much the $200 cost is in relationship the the entire
kitchen remodel and convenience compared to sink ceaning.

> different. We don't have room for a whole-house system, though,
> so obviously we're looking at the under-sink ones; probably one
> of the type that filter both drinking water to a little spigot
> on the sink as well as the supply to the icemaker in the fridge.
>
> Any advice or suggestions in these two areas? Thanks!

Think outside the kitchen. Where does the cold water line enter the
kitchen? In my case, it is in the utility room below the kitchen and one of
the baths. It was very easy to mount a whole house type housing in the
ceiling and it filters the cold water and refrigerator water. I've see some
in a laundry room next to the kitchen also. It is just easier than trying
to change a filter under a cramped sink. All our cold water is filtered in
the kitchen, not just a little tap for drinking water.

Sheldon

Mark Shaw wrote:
> As noted in another thread, I'm in the middle of an extensive
> kitchen remodelling project. Actually, it's more of a tear-
> everything-down-to-the-bare-walls-and rebuild project....
>
> Anyway, I'm down to two decisions: the purchase of a garbage
> disposal and a water-filtration system.
>
> Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
> difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
> way. But for all I know perhaps there's one out there that's
> a gotta-have item for the remodeller....
>
> For years I've used one of those Pur filters that screws onto
> the faucet, and have been happy with it. The new faucet won't
> take it, though, and at any rate we're ready for something
> different. We don't have room for a whole-house system, though,
> so obviously we're looking at the under-sink ones; probably one
> of the type that filter both drinking water to a little spigot
> on the sink as well as the supply to the icemaker in the fridge.
>
> Any advice or suggestions in these two areas?

The water filtration choice is a no-brainer: RO (Reverse Osmosis)... if
you have a basement install it there... much easier to install and
service than cramped under the sink,, makes running a line to the
fridge a smap, and who needs yet another thing under the sink that can
leak when you're not looking, and cause damage.

Whether or not an in-sink garbage grinder depends on whether you have
public sewers or a private septic system.... I wouldn't want to be
putting any extra garbage into my septic system... and if you're into
composting then I see no use for a grinder regardless, besides it's
just something to cause plumbing grief down the road. For very little
cost, while the walls are open, you can have the electricals installed
in case you decide on adding the disposal at some later date... and so
it's not a total waste the the under sink electricals can always be
used for one of those instant hot water dispenser thingies.

Curly Sue

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 14:04:44 +0000 (UTC), Mark Shaw
> wrote:

>As noted in another thread, I'm in the middle of an extensive
>kitchen remodelling project. Actually, it's more of a tear-
>everything-down-to-the-bare-walls-and rebuild project....
>
>Anyway, I'm down to two decisions: the purchase of a garbage
>disposal and a water-filtration system.
>
>Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
>difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
>way. But for all I know perhaps there's one out there that's
>a gotta-have item for the remodeller....

If you decide not to install one, make sure however that you put in
the electrical and plumbing accesses in case you ever change your
mind.

Frankly, as long as you're remodeling, why don't you put one in? The
cost is in the installation and it's going to be much cheaper during a
remodel.

Other than that, get one with sufficient horsepower. Mine is a
Kenmore 3/4 hp and I've never had any trouble with it. It was $99
five years ago. The cost was in the installation.

Sue(tm)
Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 17 Jul 2005 07:34:58a, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Think outside the kitchen. Where does the cold water line enter the
> kitchen? In my case, it is in the utility room below the kitchen and
> one of the baths. It was very easy to mount a whole house type housing
> in the ceiling and it filters the cold water and refrigerator water.
> I've see some in a laundry room next to the kitchen also. It is just
> easier than trying to change a filter under a cramped sink. All our
> cold water is filtered in the kitchen, not just a little tap for
> drinking water.

Ed, I like that idea, but it never occurred to me. What type and size is the
system you installed?

TIA

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-6, 07/16/2005
Tested on: 7/17/2005 8:01:40 AM

Edwin Pawlowski

"Wayne Boatwright"

> Ed, I like that idea, but it never occurred to me. What type and size is
> the
> system you installed?
>
> TIA

I have a WaterPik InstaPure filter housing. Actually, two of them. I have
one on the main line that filters rust from the town water as it travels
through 100 year old pipes on the way to my house. Then I branch off to
the kitchen and put the same type of housing but use an IR-10A carbon filter
for taste and sediment. Just changed it about 15 minutes ago as I was
reminded that it is due while reading this thread.

Other brands will work as well, but the IF-10 cartridges work best for me as
they last longer than other brands. They are about $11 each and I use 3 or
4 a year. I also recommend you get a housing with clear filter holder.
Looking at the rust is a reminder of when it should be changed.

The Ranger

Mark Shaw > wrote in message
> As noted in another thread, I'm in the middle of an extensive
> kitchen remodelling project. Actually, it's more of a tear-
> everything-down-to-the-bare-walls-and rebuild project....
>
> Anyway, I'm down to two decisions: the purchase of a garbage
> disposal and a water-filtration system.
>
> Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
> difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
> way. But for all I know perhaps there's one out there that's
> a gotta-have item for the remodeller....
>
> For years I've used one of those Pur filters that screws onto
> the faucet, and have been happy with it. The new faucet won't
> take it, though, and at any rate we're ready for something
> different. We don't have room for a whole-house system, though,
> so obviously we're looking at the under-sink ones; probably one
> of the type that filter both drinking water to a little spigot
> on the sink as well as the supply to the icemaker in the fridge.
>
> Any advice or suggestions in these two areas? Thanks!

While you have everything open, have the electrician install an
electrical outlet in the cabinet area below the sink... Just in case.
It's easier to do it now (physically) than it will be when your have
everything locked down and screwed to the wall tight.

We have both an In-Sink-Erator 1.0 hp
<http://www.insinkerator.com/disposer.html> and a water filtration
system <http://www.geappliances.com/smar****er/model_fs.htm?GXSL55F>.

I spoke to the plumber and GC about the filtration system because I
didn't want it going under the sink. Between the three of us, I was able
to choose the most accessible area for filter replacement without
worrying whether it would be code or not. The plumber also seconded
against hiding it under the sink since if it leaked, or more
importantly, when I needed to change out the filters, I wouldn't need to
be a member of Cirque du Soleil's contortionists. We settled on placing
it right outside the kitchen-garage wall, near the water heater.

I like having both a disposal can't imagine ever going without a
disposal (did that in our first apt.) You mention that you compost and
it's not an expense you'd really miss so focus on the filtration system
and worry about adding a disposal later (if ever.) Just make sure you
add the electrical now; it will be cheaper.

The Ranger

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 17 Jul 2005 08:19:09a, Edwin Pawlowski wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright"
>>>

>> Ed, I like that idea, but it never occurred to me. What type and size
>> is the system you installed?
>>
>> TIA

> I have a WaterPik InstaPure filter housing. Actually, two of them. I
> have one on the main line that filters rust from the town water as it
> travels through 100 year old pipes on the way to my house. Then I
> branch off to the kitchen and put the same type of housing but use an
> IR-10A carbon filter for taste and sediment. Just changed it about 15
> minutes ago as I was reminded that it is due while reading this thread.
>
> Other brands will work as well, but the IF-10 cartridges work best for
> me as they last longer than other brands. They are about $11 each and I
> use 3 or 4 a year. I also recommend you get a housing with clear filter
> holder. Looking at the rust is a reminder of when it should be changed.

Thanks, Ed. This sounds like what I want to do with my new house after we
move in. I'm going to look into it.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-6, 07/16/2005
Tested on: 7/17/2005 8:37:49 AM

Mark Shaw

Nancy Young > wrote:

> "Mark Shaw" > wrote

> > Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
> > difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
> > way.

> I wouldn't bother with it, besides, you can always add it later.

Oh, I'm definitely going to add one. I can see how the way I
phrased that might make it seem as though I was considering
doing without it, though.

I don't use it that much (we didn't have one when I was growing
up), but I've got to look ahead to resale value on the house,
too - and not having one here in suburbia would be weird.

> Also, in some places, it might be taxable on your sewer bill,
> assuming you have city sewers, you'd have to check with your
> township (whatever).

Not here.

Thanks, though.

--
Mark Shaw
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of mnshaw@
celestial fire called conscience." - George Washington gmail.com
Mark Shaw

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> As far as a garbage disposal, I would go with In-Sink-Erator. You won't be
> sorry.

After a bit of research I'm also considering a 1-HP Kenmore.
But In-Sink-Erator also looks good.

--
Mark Shaw
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of mnshaw@
celestial fire called conscience." - George Washington gmail.com
Sheldon

Mark Shaw wrote:
> Sheldon > wrote:
> > The water filtration choice is a no-brainer: RO (Reverse Osmosis)... if
> > you have a basement install it there... much easier to install and
> > service than cramped under the sink,, makes running a line to the
> > fridge a smap, and who needs yet another thing under the sink that can
> > leak when you're not looking, and cause damage.

> No basement. No room at all, really - if I put a system in
> it's going to be an under-the-sink model.

Sure, but it's far more important to choose *what* than the *where*,
and what often dictates where. You also need to consider where to run
the supply to your fridge, often not so simple from the sink. Under
the kitchen sink is the last place I'd choose, with no basement I'd
choose an adjacent room space; inside a utility room, a closet, a
laundry room, anywhere but under the kitchen sink.

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 17 Jul 2005 10:34:09a, Mark Shaw wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>> As far as a garbage disposal, I would go with In-Sink-Erator. You
>> won't be sorry.

> After a bit of research I'm also considering a 1-HP Kenmore.
> But In-Sink-Erator also looks good.

I don't think you can go wrong with Kenmore appliances. Regardless of who
makes products for them, Sears sets their own specs, and they're often better
than other brands.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-6, 07/16/2005
Tested on: 7/17/2005 12:44:29 PM

nancree

I can't imagine going without my reverse osmosis water filter. (I got
mine at Costco). The improved taste of the water is a benefit of
course, but the BEST thing about it is that it filters out that
lime/calcium/whatever sediment that used to settle in my potted plants
and in my coffee-maker.
I have been using the same coffee-maker for 7 YEARS, and I have
*never* had to clean it with vinegar, not once. I have the filter
changed once a year, and the cost is less than having bottled water
delivered.
Regards, Nancree

Sheldon

nancree wrote:
> I can't imagine going without my reverse osmosis water filter. (I got
> mine at Costco). The improved taste of the water is a benefit of
> course, but the BEST thing about it is that it filters out that
> lime/calcium/whatever sediment that used to settle in my potted plants
> and in my coffee-maker.
> I have been using the same coffee-maker for 7 YEARS, and I have
> *never* had to clean it with vinegar, not once. I have the filter
> changed once a year, and the cost is less than having bottled water
> delivered.

Much less than bottled water, not even in the same universe... RO water
costs about 3=A2/gallon. And bottled water isn't nearly as pure, most
bottled water is very hard and often when tested is found to contain
unacceptible bacteria counts.

Learn about RO he http://www.freedrinkingwater.com

Sheldon

Edwin Pawlowski

"Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
>> the baths. It was very easy to mount a whole house type housing in the
>> ceiling and it filters the cold water and refrigerator water. I've see
>> some
>> in a laundry room next to the kitchen also. It is just easier than
>> trying
>> to change a filter under a cramped sink. All our cold water is filtered
>> in
>> the kitchen, not just a little tap for drinking water.

> Hmm, I'm starting to get to the end of my rope, expense-wise
> (as you might imagine). That sounds like a pretty big add-on.
>
> --
> Mark Shaw

$50 or less.

Brick

On 17-Jul-2005, Mark Shaw > wrote:

> As noted in another thread, I'm in the middle of an extensive
> kitchen remodelling project. Actually, it's more of a tear-
> everything-down-to-the-bare-walls-and rebuild project....
>
> Anyway, I'm down to two decisions: the purchase of a garbage
> disposal and a water-filtration system.
>
> Personally, I don't think the disposal makes that much of a
> difference. Since we compost, we don't use it that much any-
> way. But for all I know perhaps there's one out there that's
> a gotta-have item for the remodeller....
>
> For years I've used one of those Pur filters that screws onto
> the faucet, and have been happy with it. The new faucet won't
> take it, though, and at any rate we're ready for something
> different. We don't have room for a whole-house system, though,
> so obviously we're looking at the under-sink ones; probably one
> of the type that filter both drinking water to a little spigot
> on the sink as well as the supply to the icemaker in the fridge.
>
> Any advice or suggestions in these two areas? Thanks!
>
> --
> Mark Shaw

Given your original post Mark, I concluded that you didn't have the space
for a central (whole house system) anywhere. Mine is 4' high and 18" in
dia. I installled it in a hall closet where the upper half serves as my
over-
flow pantry. I simply spliced into the cold water input under my Mfg'd
home so everything inside the house is filtered. The outside faucets
remain unfiltered. The unit has been installed for about three years. It
uses about 30# of salt a year. I tested my water just a couple of weeks
ago. It is clean of hardness and iron products, but shows high on akali.
We get a lot of water interruptions in our neighborhood and before the
filter, we always got mud after the water was turned back on. No longer.
The filter takes it all out and then apparently cleans itself when it gets
damned good and ready. These machines go for about $400.00 at Home
Despot. We're happy with it.
--
The Brick said that (Don't bother to agree with me, I have already changed
my mind.)

Mark Shaw

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> On Sun 17 Jul 2005 10:34:09a, Mark Shaw wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
> >> As far as a garbage disposal, I would go with In-Sink-Erator. You
> >> won't be sorry.

> > After a bit of research I'm also considering a 1-HP Kenmore.
> > But In-Sink-Erator also looks good.

> I don't think you can go wrong with Kenmore appliances. Regardless of who
> makes products for them, Sears sets their own specs, and they're often better
> than other brands.

Well, it's an In-Sink-Erator. The 1-HP 7-year-warranty auto-
reverse model. Woot!

It's in the garage, still in the box. I'll have the contractor
put it in.

--
Mark Shaw
"The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new
Mark Shaw

Edwin Pawlowski > wrote:
> "Mark Shaw" > wrote in message
> >> the baths. It was very easy to mount a whole house type housing in the
> >> ceiling and it filters the cold water and refrigerator water. I've see
> >> some
> >> in a laundry room next to the kitchen also. It is just easier than
> >> trying
> >> to change a filter under a cramped sink. All our cold water is filtered
> >> in
> >> the kitchen, not just a little tap for drinking water.

> > Hmm, I'm starting to get to the end of my rope, expense-wise
> > (as you might imagine). That sounds like a pretty big add-on.

> $50 or less.

Well, I picked up a whole-house filtration system for something
like thirty bucks today. The only thing it'll filter out is
sediment, but that's good enough - and I'll put a real filter
under the sink.

--
Mark Shaw
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of mnshaw@
celestial fire called conscience." - George Washington gmail.com

Wayne Boatwright

On Sun 17 Jul 2005 11:14:46p, Mark Shaw wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> > After a bit of research I'm also considering a 1-HP Kenmore.
>> > But In-Sink-Erator also looks good.

>> I don't think you can go wrong with Kenmore appliances. Regardless of
>> who makes products for them, Sears sets their own specs, and they're
>> often better than other brands.

> Well, it's an In-Sink-Erator. The 1-HP 7-year-warranty auto-
> reverse model. Woot!
>
> It's in the garage, still in the box. I'll have the contractor
> put it in.

You've made a good choice! Good luck with your new kitchen!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0528-6, 07/16/2005
Tested on: 7/17/2005 11:17:39 PM

Mark Shaw

Brick > wrote:

> Given your original post Mark, I concluded that you didn't have the space
> for a central (whole house system) anywhere. Mine is 4' high and 18" in
> dia. I installled it in a hall closet where the upper half serves as my
> over-
> flow pantry. I simply spliced into the cold water input under my Mfg'd
> home so everything inside the house is filtered. The outside faucets
> remain unfiltered. The unit has been installed for about three years. It
> uses about 30# of salt a year. I tested my water just a couple of weeks
> ago. It is clean of hardness and iron products, but shows high on akali.

See, that's a problem.

I'm a homebrewer, so I want a certain amount of hardness. In
fact, the only thing I really DON'T want for beer water is
chlorine - so I do one of two things: I either draw about 12
gallons of unfiltered tap water, bring it to a boil, and let
it cool in the pot till the next day; or I filter the water
and then add ions back in via salt, epsom salts, and gypsum.

> We get a lot of water interruptions in our neighborhood and before the
> filter, we always got mud after the water was turned back on. No longer.
> The filter takes it all out and then apparently cleans itself when it gets
> damned good and ready. These machines go for about $400.00 at Home
> Despot. We're happy with it.

I bought a sediment-and-silt trap for the main line in, and
a Culligan double-filter system for under the sink. I think
that ought to just about do it.

Thanks, though!

--
Mark Shaw
"Labor to keep alive in your breast that little spark of mnshaw@
celestial fire called conscience." - George Washington gmail.com
Mark Shaw

Sheldon > wrote:
> Mark Shaw wrote:

> > > The water filtration choice is a no-brainer: RO (Reverse Osmosis)... if
> > > you have a basement install it there... much easier to install and
> > > service than cramped under the sink,, makes running a line to the
> > > fridge a smap, and who needs yet another thing under the sink that can
> > > leak when you're not looking, and cause damage.

> > No basement. No room at all, really - if I put a system in
> > it's going to be an under-the-sink model.

> Sure, but it's far more important to choose *what* than the *where*,
> and what often dictates where. You also need to consider where to run
> the supply to your fridge, often not so simple from the sink. Under
> the kitchen sink is the last place I'd choose, with no basement I'd
> choose an adjacent room space; inside a utility room, a closet, a
> laundry room, anywhere but under the kitchen sink.

The only thing adjacent is the outside, unfortunately. To put
it in the laundry room or the water-heater closet would require
running a line through the wall and back.

I placed an order for a filtration system yesterday, and it's
going under the sink. Not the best place perhaps, but in my
case it's the only place.