Ken Blake

Default Coffepot cooking - curry tofu ramen noodles

In news:,
Ken Blake > typed:

> In nk.net,
> chronic hydroponic > typed:
>
>> "Ken Blake" > wrote...

>>> I've eaten in Hilton, Holiday Inn, and Doubletree
>>> restaurants,
>>> too,
>>> and my experience hasn't been better than yours. Clearly,
>>> *you* have
>>> never eaten at any of the better hotel restaurants. Don't
>>> judge the
>>> entire world of hotel restaurants by your very limited
>>> experience. Just as a single example, the restaurant Alain
>>> Ducasse at the Hotel
>>> Plaza Athenée in Paris gets Michelin's highest rating, three
>>> stars,
>>> and is one of the best, if not the best, in the world.
>>> http://eng.plaza-athenee-paris.com/

>> Well I think we're talking about large chain hotels, not ritzy
>> Paris hotels who distinguish themselves through service and
>> gourmet food.

> Well, you might *like* to talk about "large hotel chains," but
> AlleyGator made a blanket statement about *all* hotel food; he
> didn't qualify it by saying ""large chain hotels." I said "it
> depends," pointed out that it's not true of *all* hotels, and
> pointed out that "some of the best meals of my life have been
> in
> hotels."
>
> His unqualified statement is preposterous on the face of it.
> There are many great restaurants in hotels, and all over the
> world, not just in Paris. Had he said that most restaurants in
> large hotel chains are poor, I either would have agreed or not
> bothered replying at all. In fact most chain restaurants are
> poor, whether or not they are in hotels. I even agreed, in my
> first sentence you quoted above, that Hilton, Holiday Inn, and
> Doubletree restaurants are not very good.
>

>> And you pay for that higher quality too.

> Of course. Good food is seldom cheap, whether in hotels or
> elsewhere, and it's probably even more expensive in hotels,
> especially in an expensive city like Paris.

>> comparison to restaurants would have Motel 6 as McDonalds or
>> Burger King, while Hilton would be equivalent to Wendy's in
>> that they offer you the better service of giving you the
>> option
>> of ordering your hamburger without a pickle slice on it.

> Wendy's? Ugh! I'm not a fan of restaurants in Hiltons but I'd
> greatly prefer a meal in the worst Hilton restaurant to the
> best
> Wendy's.
>

>> The
>> Athenee is probably equivalent to Emeril's or better.

> I've never eaten in either and don't know for sure, but going
> by
> Michelin (and other) ratings, my guess is that restaurant Alain
> Ducasse at the Hotel Plaza Athenée is *much* better than
> Emeril's.

An addendum to my point above. I live in Tucson, AZ. The best
four restaurants in town (some might disagree, but hardly anyone
would not rate these four as among the top half a dozen or so)
are all in hotels: Janos, the Ventana Room, the Gold Room, the
Grill at Hacienda del Sol.

If I could afford it, I'd be very happy to rotate among these
restaurants every four days.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup