Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 07 Jul 2005 05:38:45p, JeanineAlyse wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> > Basically, gritted cornbread can be made with any cornbread recipe or
>> > mix, it's the addition of days-old, somewhat dried out corn off the
>> > cob that is added to the mix to give it the "gritted" attribute.
>> > Grate the corn off the cob using a common grater's largest holes.
>> > Try using a six to six: six or so six days off the plant cobs for
>> > grating into a boxed batter (like Marie Calendar's) before setting
>> > the batter to bake.
>> >
>> > ...Picky ~JA~

>> Guess that's another way, and it sounds good. However, we always
>> called it gritted cornbread when it contained stone ground cornmeal and
>> no flour. The stone ground meal provides the grittiness.

> Wayne, I've made it the way you describe, as well as with a mix of
> flour and cornmeal. Both are quite good, though I'm not real fond of
> the dryer corn-gritty one, though the off the cobs one can become too
> chewy and also too dry if the corn becomes too old before using.
>
> ...Picky

I think they're all good at some point, and I enjoy them. I was used to
the gritty one as my family has always made it that way, although it never
really seemed dry to me. When I use corn kernals, if they seem a litle
tough I whirl them briefly in the blender with the buttermilk. Seems to
help. The only variety I really don't like is one including flour.

Cheers!

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0527-1, 07/07/2005
Tested on: 7/7/2005 6:12:14 PM