Alex Chaihorsky

And I never called it a criminal act. And I never threatened anyone with a
criminal action. So, do not make it look like I did.

The situation is very simple. I am amazed that as a lawyer you do not see
it.:
1. One insults someone to the extent that he/she is now angry enough to take
a counteraction. It was your free will to insult, be prepared to find
yourself on a receiving end of someone exercising his fee will too. All
within legal boundaries, of course.
2. One is offered several remedies to satisfy the insulted and one neither
agree to them, no offer alternative solution. One understands that this will
put him (or her) in an unfavorable position when such situation will be in
front of a judge or a court of public opinion. One has chosen a path of war.
3. In that case one needs to be prepared that one's opponent will take steps
within legal or public system to get satisfaction. That is called
"responsibility for your actions" and is part of the natural justice system.

Depending on the jurisdiction, legal situation and money/time available to
the angry party it could be anything. I do not go through an American law
school and cannot represent anyone but myself, but I went through many legal
business proceedings and studied law to the extent that I am comfortable
representing myself in non-criminal cases or cases that does not involve
potential serious damages against me.
As soon as I get off "the boat" onto these shores, I understood almost
instantaneously that a person here can be taken to court for any, however
stupid and miniscule reason and that translated immediately into huge legal
bills. Comparing to these expenses the outcome of the case may be completely
irrelevant. That was an implicit attack on my freedom (you may not agree)
and I dedicated a certain amount of time and money to investigate the
situation and acquire enough knowledge to be my own lawyer, thus taking
(albeit only partially) my freedom not to be robbed by some petty lawsuit
back.

You (and nobody else) is in any danger from my stance -
1. Do not knowingly insult me (your mother should have told you that
already)
2. When you do and I offer you a way out (an apology or retraction or
arbitration of any sort) take it.
3. If you did not take it - do not be surprised by my actions.

I think if more people will follow my example, USENET would become a much
more civilized, informative an in general humane place.
I also think if more people would study law just not to be scared of a petty
lawsuits, this country will definitely be better off and the amount of
freedom will increase. And, most probably, we will become more civil, polite
and respectful of others.
Should I call White House about this?

Cheers,

Sasha.