Mike Petro

Marlene Wood wrote:
> > I don't care if you aren't lying, either. It sure sounds like bullshit
> > to me.
> >
> > <Plonk>

> I don't usually speak up in flame wars. I like to form my own opinion, and
> keep it to myself while I watch the circus. I just had to this time. Just
> what does the word 'Plonk' mean in this post?
> It brings to mind two images:
> 1 A person 'plonking' down a file on a desk in front of another person,
> crossing their arms infront of their chest, glaring, and barely keeping
> themselves from sticking out their tounge.
> 2 A person collapsing (plonking) into a chair in a huff, glaring, and barely
> keeping themselves from sticking out their tongue.
> I realise that this is probobly not what was intended, so please correct me
> so I can go back to enjoying the flames.

Hi Marlene,

In USENET netiquette PLONK is an acronym used when one poster chooses
to "ignore" another persons posts. In older Unix based newsreaders
it was called a "killfile" which meant that anything sent to the
killfile was automatically deleted before the reader ever had a chance
to see it. You could send a post to the killfile based on any number of
different criteria, the most common one being a specific person in the
"From" field but it could also be a keyword in the subject or body
of the message etc. In modern Windows based newsreaders you can often
do it by right-clicking a poster and selecting "Ignore" and then
you will not (theoretically) see any posts sent by that person again.
It usually only works with dedicated newsreader programs, if you use
Google or some other web based reader you will not readily see this
option.

Mike
http://www.pu-erh.net