Shaun aRe

"Rhonda Anderson" > wrote in message
.5...
> kalanamak > wrote in news:_fJse.43$BD.12080
> @news.uswest.net:
>

> > Even more confusing, "black cumin" or kalajeera is a tiny seed the shape
> > of cumin but thinner, and more pungent. Kalajeera is not applied to
> > charnushka...the spice that looks like little chunks of coal, but "black
> > cumin" sometimes is.
> > blacksalt

> That black cumin (apparently also called black caraway) is Nigella sativa.

'False black cumin' 'false black onion seed' I've heard them called, to help
recovery from the confusion I suppose. I just call it Nigella seed.

> Saw some at work - one of the guys at work had this packet of seeds

they'd
> found in a parcel they were inspecting. They were labelled black cumin,

but
> had no botanical name (which we need, to check if they're restricted or
> not). Was able to use Gernot's website to identify it - that's one site I
> added to our list of useful links a long time ago! It's especially useful
> for the great photos.
>
> I haven't used Nigella. Might add it to my list of spices to try.

It's a lovely seed, quite... scented, mild flavour in a way, but I'm sure
it's a flavour you'd notice if you used it out of place. It's great in
breads, especially flat breads IMO.

Shaun aRe