Musashi

"Dan Logcher" > wrote in message
> Musashi wrote:
> > The White Tuna issue has been discussed here several times.
> > The term "White Tuna" is sometimes used as a litteral translation of

"Shiro
> > Maguro" also known as Binchou Maguro
> > or Bin naga Maguro. This is Albacore, a member of the tuna family with
> > white-ish meat mostly known in the US as
> > chicken of the sea. Although it may be called "white tuna" it has a

pinkish
> > tone.
> > But there is another fish which is also called "White Tuna" and the meat

is
> > really really white.
> > This fish is called Escolar in the US and has been known to produce
> > digestion problems if eaten in any large quantity.
> > I myself have eaten it a couple of times and never had a problem. But

others
> > have. Due to complaints about this,
> > many non-sushi restaurants in New York City stopped serving this fish

(in
> > cooked form) according to a NY Times article.
> > My local itamae told me that this Escolar, known as Abura Bouzu in Japan

is
> > not permitted by law to be served as sushi
> > neta because of this problem. So the answer is no. it is not a

traditional
> > sushi neta at all.

> Pretty much all the places I've seen Escolar, they call it Super White

Tuna.
> And Albacore is called White Tuna.

You are right. I always look at the neta with my own eyes to determine what
it is
so I never realized that.

> Only one place I know in my area has
> Escolar labeled at mutzu and says its marlin. I had a long discussion

about
> this with the itamae, and he agrees that the labeling is an issue. The

package
> that it comes in is labeled Oilfish, not Escolar or Marlin. So I don't

know
> why things differ so much..

Yes, labeling of fish is usually quite complex and confusing even in one
country.
Then if you add another country, which has it's own labeling problems into
the mix
you end up with the mess we have now.
I have problems translating Esoclar to Mutsu...but Marlin (kajiki) is off
the meter.