Lewis Perin

Ozzy > writes:

> Lewis Perin > wrote in newsc73bscin2j.fsf_-
> :
>
> <snip>
> >
> > If you're determined to buy your tea from bulk storage in New
> > York's Chinatown, I think you can do better than Kam Man, which
> > stores its teas in glass jars with loose-fitting lids. Several
> > months ago I bought some Dancong - they may have spelled it
> > "Danchung" - on the other side of Canal St. at Great Wall for
> > about the price you mention, and it was surprisingly good.

> Not necessarily determined, just ignorant as to what's really in the
> area. I'll check Great Wall out next time I pass that way --
> thanks. Would you be so kind as to recommend tea merchants there?
> All I know is Ten Ren, and I've heard that it's pricey.

Right, stay away from Ten Ren. If you're willing to spend serious
money, you might as well get high quality for it, and Tea Gallery, at
131 Allen St. above Delancey, in what you might consider the new
Chinatown, in my experience never sells mediocre tea. You can taste
before buying there, but their hours aren't completely predictable, so
call ahead at 212-777-6148. (Disclaimer: I'm only a customer, but I
like them a lot.)

/Lew
---
Lew Perin /