Scott Dorsey

Default NYC Chinatown tea shopping (was Monkey Pick Oolong)

:

><snip>
>>
>> If you're determined to buy your tea from bulk storage in New York's
>> Chinatown, I think you can do better than Kam Man, which stores its
>> teas in glass jars with loose-fitting lids. Several months ago I
>> bought some Dancong - they may have spelled it "Danchung" - on the
>> other side of Canal St. at Great Wall for about the price you mention,
>> and it was surprisingly good.

I don't think I'd buy any of the teas in bulk there, because they just
don't sell enough to keep them fresh. But I do occasionally buy tea in
boxes there when I am in town, and they are one of the few places that
seem to carry panyong congou.

>Not necessarily determined, just ignorant as to what's really in the area.
>I'll check Great Wall out next time I pass that way -- thanks. Would you be
>so kind as to recommend tea merchants there? All I know is Ten Ren, and
>I've heard that it's pricey.

Go to Ten Ren. They have a wide selection of Formosa oolongs, and
a couple blacks and greens. They have some very inexpensive tea, and
some extremely expensive tea, and it's interesting just to smell the
different grades of tea in the same style and see how a $10/lb kuanyin
smells different than their $150/lb kuanyin. They also do store tea in
metal containers without phenomenally tight seals, but they do enough
volume that I don't think it's a problem.
--scott

Ozzy

Lewis Perin > wrote in
news
> Right, stay away from Ten Ren. If you're willing to spend serious
> money, you might as well get high quality for it, and Tea Gallery, at
> 131 Allen St. above Delancey, in what you might consider the new
> Chinatown, in my experience never sells mediocre tea. You can taste
> before buying there, but their hours aren't completely predictable, so
> call ahead at 212-777-6148. (Disclaimer: I'm only a customer, but I
> like them a lot.)
>
> /Lew
> ---

It's obvious that you are a satisfied customer. :-) Thanks for the address
& phone #.

Ozzy
Michael Plant

Lewis 5/25/05

> Ozzy > writes:
>
>> Lewis Perin > wrote in newsc73bscin2j.fsf_-

:

>> <snip>
>>>
>>> If you're determined to buy your tea from bulk storage in New
>>> York's Chinatown, I think you can do better than Kam Man, which
>>> stores its teas in glass jars with loose-fitting lids. Several
>>> months ago I bought some Dancong - they may have spelled it
>>> "Danchung" - on the other side of Canal St. at Great Wall for
>>> about the price you mention, and it was surprisingly good.

>> Not necessarily determined, just ignorant as to what's really in the
>> area. I'll check Great Wall out next time I pass that way --
>> thanks. Would you be so kind as to recommend tea merchants there?
>> All I know is Ten Ren, and I've heard that it's pricey.

> Right, stay away from Ten Ren. If you're willing to spend serious
> money, you might as well get high quality for it, and Tea Gallery, at
> 131 Allen St. above Delancey, in what you might consider the new
> Chinatown, in my experience never sells mediocre tea. You can taste
> before buying there, but their hours aren't completely predictable, so
> call ahead at 212-777-6148. (Disclaimer: I'm only a customer, but I
> like them a lot.)

I concur enthusiastically with Lew's assessment. In fact, I visited
yesterday afternoon and sampled their new Long Jing and Bi Lo Chun. The
leaves are perhaps not as perfect as last year -- this seems universal
across the board -- but the tastes are exquisite. Most highly recommended,
especially compared to Ten Ren. In addition, unlike the Ten Ren people,
Michael and Winnie of The Tea Gallery speak fluent English, and they can
speak first hand about the teas they sell. Selection is limited, but when
you experience the quality, it won't matter. Their selection of YiXing pots
is extensive, and you can sit and drink tea from any one of them before you
buy it, a service you won't find just anywhere.

Michael

Space Cowboy

I understood your abbreviation for PC from the earlier post. Does the
literal Panyong Congou appear on the packaging? I understand Congou to
be an old trading term for Black Tea so what is Panyong. You indicated
it is common but that term doesn't ring a bell on what I see in my
Chinatown. All I see is Rose Congou and nothing else.

Jim

Lewis Perin wrote:
> "Space Cowboy" > writes:

> > > I've seen PC a lot in the supermarkets of Flushing's Chinatown.

> > That name doesn't jump out at me in my Chinatown. Does PC appear on
> > the packaging? Or is it a generic name for something else I might
> > know?

> Sorry about my hasty abbreviation. I meant Panyong Congou.
>
> /Lew
> ---
> Lew Perin /

Scott Dorsey

Panyong congou is some sort of Fujian black tea. It has really become
my favorite tea for daily drinking, with a very wonderful taste that I
can only describe as soft.

I once saw it at the Da Hua Market in DC's Chinatown, in a red box
from the Fujian national export folks. I saw the same packaging a
couple of times in Kam Fong. But for the most part it does not seem
to be exported to these shores much prepackaged. Upton's has it in
bulk, along with a panyong "golden needle" that is similar but different.
--scott
Ozzy

Michael Plant > wrote in
:

<snip>
> The theory here is that any non-reactive material that keeps air out is
> good. Metal lining is therefore better than plastic, which is far more
> permeable. I try to use ceramic, but mostly because I find it more
> aesthetically pleasing, and it serves admirably.
>
> Michael

I see -- then glass, tightly sealed, would do also -- unless it must
ideally keep light out as well...

Ozzy
Archer

"Dancong", "danchung" . . . might this be a dark, amber oolong (40-60%
oxidization) from Phoenix Mountain of Guangdong Province crafted from
Dan Chong bushes? Dan Chong bushes are a selection from the species
(<i>Camellia sinensis</i>) known for their metabolism-boosting,
detoxifying qualities. Generally speaking, tea crafted from the Dan
Chong bushes have a double flavor - usually one very brief intense
foretaste followed by a usually floral or fruity tone.

To get back to the <strong>Monkey Picked</strong> thread, those of you
who enjoy a good Tie Guan Yin style tea may be interested in ordering
some Cui Yu Green Jade from <a
href="http://www.sevencups.com/">sevencups.com</a>. They're my local
fine Chinese teahouse but they also do retail by internet as well as
being a direct, fair-trade tea brokerage.

If any of you stumble across a really outstanding Tie Guan Yin style
tea or a remarkable baozhong (Taiwanese high mountain tea) please let
me know. I'd love to sample some.

Mike Petro

Eric,

Eric, It seems that you are the one over-reacting here. I simply
stated that I would avoid paper bags for storing my valuable puerh
because I didn't know what chemicals "may" have been used in its
manufacturing, they don't exactly put disclosure statements on paper,
so where is the hysteria there? Caution - maybe, hysteria - no. I am
not an anti-toxin fanatic, there is a time and place for most
chemicals, that place is simply NOT next to my tea. Puerh can be
stored for 30 years or more, more than enough time for chemicals to
leech out of the paper if they are present. Why do you think that so
many teabag manufacturers are switching to unbleached paper? It is in
response to public demand, not hysteria.

However, if you want to talk about the realities of industrial
chemicals I will happily oblige you. The caustic soda that I have
personally dealt with, and is standard, in these industries was so
strong that a single drop would burn right through your leather shoes
and then your skin. It had so many chemical hazard labels that it
would make you head spin. Anyone who tries to say it is not toxic
simply has never personally handled the stuff. We kept diluted acetic
acid around just to neutralize a caustic spill if any got on
ourselves, otherwise the stuff would literally burn right through your
flesh. This is not a joke or an exaggeration. Heck I even have
pictures to prove it. The acetic acid used in these industries is 80%
or greater, your vinegar is only 5%, not exactly the same thing
either. The hydrogen peroxide was so strong that if you got a drop on
yourself then you would start bleeding immediately. Nobody is going to
convince me that these are harmless chemicals, I know better.

Can they be safely used, yes they can. Are there chemical residues in
the finished products, who knows, all I know is that I don't want to
use this stuff to store my valuable puerh.

Mike

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005 16:33:12 -0700, "Eric Gisin"
> wrote:

>Please stop this "toxic chemical" hysteria.
>
>Caustic soda is lye, used for thousands of years in making food: olives,
>tortillas, nuts. It is used to make soap. Sure it can be caustic, but it
>is not toxic.
>
>Acetic acid is vinegar. Don't you have an encyclopedia?
>
>There are three types of mechanic pulp, only one uses chemicals:
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kraft_pulp

Mike Petro
http://www.pu-erh.net
"In this work, when it shall be found that much is omitted, let it not be forgotten that much likewise is performed."
Samuel Johnson, 1775, upon finishing his dictionary.

Wu Yi Yan Cha Bing - A Lush Oolong! And The Smoothest Nai Xiang (milk) Oolong! Shen[_2_] Tea 12 20-01-2008 11:27 PM
Monkey Picked Oolong Gregory Allen-Anderson Tea 0 24-12-2005 02:42 AM
Monkey Pick Oolong Michael Plant Tea 29 19-06-2005 02:59 AM
Chinatown shopping list RLK Asian Cooking 57 02-05-2005 05:04 PM
Another day in Chinatown Space Cowboy Tea 4 09-03-2005 04:50 AM