Scott Dorsey

Default NYC Chinatown tea shopping (was Monkey Pick Oolong)

:

><snip>
>>
>> If you're determined to buy your tea from bulk storage in New York's
>> Chinatown, I think you can do better than Kam Man, which stores its
>> teas in glass jars with loose-fitting lids. Several months ago I
>> bought some Dancong - they may have spelled it "Danchung" - on the
>> other side of Canal St. at Great Wall for about the price you mention,
>> and it was surprisingly good.

I don't think I'd buy any of the teas in bulk there, because they just
don't sell enough to keep them fresh. But I do occasionally buy tea in
boxes there when I am in town, and they are one of the few places that
seem to carry panyong congou.

>Not necessarily determined, just ignorant as to what's really in the area.
>I'll check Great Wall out next time I pass that way -- thanks. Would you be
>so kind as to recommend tea merchants there? All I know is Ten Ren, and
>I've heard that it's pricey.

Go to Ten Ren. They have a wide selection of Formosa oolongs, and
a couple blacks and greens. They have some very inexpensive tea, and
some extremely expensive tea, and it's interesting just to smell the
different grades of tea in the same style and see how a $10/lb kuanyin
smells different than their $150/lb kuanyin. They also do store tea in
metal containers without phenomenally tight seals, but they do enough
volume that I don't think it's a problem.
--scott