Graham Sorenson

"Gene" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Correct regarding my wish to store roasted beans. My understanding was
> that the enemies of freshness are air, light and humidity, and that the
> best way to fight these was to store the beans short-term in an
> air-tight, light free container at room temperature. Is the creation of
> a vacuum in the container over-kill?

You might like to look into "Nitrogen flushing" The enemy of losing flavour
is oxidation and if you van remove the oxygen they you don't have the
problem. (Not long term but long enough)

Nitrogen is heaver than oxygen so if you "flush" the container with nitrogen
gas then there is no oxygen in it to oxidise the coffee oils.

I have used this to preserve the oils that I use in my business.

you can probably get the nitrogen from a good wine shop in small canisters.

HTH

--
Graham Sorenson

http://Luna-Aromatics.com Come and stick your nose in our business
The Home of "Arizona Balm" the Natural Solution to Problem Dry Skin.
Hand Made Soaps, Soy Wax Candles, Lip Balms and more Good Stuff
Retail and Wholesale.
http://TheGuideToAromatherapy.com