Dave Bell

On Tue, 24 May 2005, Mike Avery wrote:

> Spelt IS wheat.

It might be more accurate to say that what we now call wheat is spelt, or
a descendant of spelt.

> It is a primitive wheat, that is tolerated by some people who can't
> tolerate modern wheats. However, for many people, it's just wheat. For
> people with gluten sensitivities, spelt is a no-no.

And I am one that can tolerate much more spelt than wheat. If I eat enough
of it, or *whole* spelt, I get a similar reaction as from wheat. Still
less severe and shorter duration, though. Case in point: Last night we
were joining a group of friends for a dinner at Chevy's (California
Mexican chain.) Before heading out, I made up a batch of half a dozen
spelt tortillas to bring with me. Ended up pigging out and eating the
entire stack with my habanero steak fajitas, amounting to 1.5 cups of
white spelt flour. *Very* mild reaction, well within my "It was worth it!"
tolerance level...

> I DO wish vita-spelt hadn't used that misleading advertising campaign
> touting spelt as a wheat alternative.
>
> Mike

For some, it is. As usual, each individual is different, and needs to take
responsibility for his own health!

Dave