RD

I've never seen a quantitative value placed on the flavor stripping
capacity of bentonite. Perhaps others could comment on this. Though
it seems reasonable that this would be proportional to the
concentration at which it is used.

Usually, the primary goal of fining wine is to improve taste with the
added benefit that it can improve clarity as well. As a rule, I do not
fine my red wines. I find that time is the best fining agent. After a
year or so red wines are usually very clear - especially if it's had
time in oak casks. For whites, I often do a light bentonite fining
after primary fermentation has ceased. As I have been reminded by
folks on this newsgroup, let your taste be your guide.....and have
patience.

RD