C. James Strutz

"usual suspect" > wrote in message

> They didn't actively target vegetarians with their first veggie whopper.
> It was more or less for flexitarians as well as those who wanted to go eat
> out with friends.

That's not the way I remember it. People were becoming more concerned about
high fat and cholesterol, particularly in fast foods. McDonalds was the
first to test market veggie burgers in some regional markets. Burger King
followed suit with their introduction of a veggie burger. Now the trend
seems to be split between offering larger portions ("super sized" products,
etc.) and better fruit and salad choices for the more health conscious
people. They are always exploring where they think the market is going, not
trying to convenience flexitarian friends of carnivores.

> If the BK marketing people were to do a little more homework, they would
> completely ignore
> vegetarians.

They never did target vegetarians per se, but instead are more interested in
a much larger market share of increasingly health conscious consumers.

>> The restaurant has to try to draw its primary prey, the carnivore,
>> because that's where it's making most of its money. In the very act of
>> attracting meat-eaters it's bound to turn off the very people who might
>> eat their new meatless burger.

> I realize some of you "ethical vegetarians" are misanthropic assholes,

Huh, I'm surprised you didn't include ALL "ethical vegetarians" in your
stereotype.

> but there are plenty more people who are vegetarian for health reasons
> who'll make an occasional trip to BK on their own or with meat-eating
> friends.

Most vegetarians I have ever known wouldn't go near a "Murder King" or
"McDeath" joint even with the scant few offerings of "healthy" alternatives.

> If being around happy meat-eating people bothers you

All meat-eating people aren't happy as you would like to think. They are
often fatter and unhealthier than vegetarians and thus tend to be more
depressed.

>, remember that most BKs have a drive-thru. WTF is different about BK's
>veggie burger and the ones you'd make at home

Hmm, what about the fact that veggie burgers are cooked on the same animal
fat contaminated conveyor as meat burgers (unless you specifically ask them
to nuke it)?

> using a similar fake burger product (whether it's Morningstar or Boca)?

Veggie burgers are only "fake" relative to meat burgers. They are actually
fine sandwiches in their own right.

> Nothing but your shitty attitude towards others.

You ought to check your attitude sometime...

>> So the new burger isn't good news, or bad news. It's no news; a doomed
>> gesture.

> I'll one-up you: If BK's target is vegans, the new veggie burger is a
> meaningless gesture to a very meaningless group.

I bet there are a lot of vegans who would like to give you a gesture...