Alan S

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 05:41:41 GMT, Karen Sexton
> wrote:

>>However, for yourself, "watching my sugar" is not the point.
>>My general advice would be to buy that meter, not to get
>>stressed about it but to give yourself the advantage of an
>>advance warning if the time comes when you do need to come
>>back to us as a fully qualified member of the club.

>I thought about it all last night- what you said about chocolate
>recipes. What did you mean- that craving chocolate, even with Splenda
>is a warning sign?

Hi karen

Splenda is irrelevant in this context. Actually the right
sort of chocolate - 70% cocoa, not too much sugar - is good
for you in moderation. That word - moderation - may
eventually drive you nuts but it's the secret to controlling
this beast. See my sig:-) Extremes and diabetes are
unhealthy partners.

In the recipe you initially wanted, the problem is not the
chocolate, it's the things that raise your blood glucose
levels, the carbohydrates and the sugar. It's not strictly
chemically correct, but I treat sugar as just another fast
acting carb, like flour, potatos, rice and the other
starches. NoneGiven's recipes were far superior to the norm
and very lowcarb. Personally I found that it was easier to
simply use alternatives to cake and cookies - because the
low-carb ones won't always be available to "feed the habit".
You may be different.

As to warning signs, hopefully you will never get any
physical symptoms if you use regular blood tests (whether
home-test BGs, or glucose and HbA1c at your doctor's) to
catch things early if they do appear.

I'm not trying to be alarmist, just cautious. Your genes and
your excess weight are enough to advise you to ensure that
your doc checks your BGs and A1c regularly.

This part is purely my opinion (as was most of the rest:-)
If you don't want to buy the meter (they're cheap, the
strips are the expense) then at least cut the starches and
cakes in your diet. If you like fruit, don't overdo it (high
carbs), berries are the best form, and treat fruit juices as
just as dangerous as sugared sodas.

I know you just came for a recipe - and got a lot more than
you expected. Sorry about that:-)

Cheers Alan, T2, Australia.