RR

Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>On Thu 26 May 2005 03:18:53p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
>alt.food.diabetic:
>

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Beef Stroganoff
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 2 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories :
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 1 pound beef stew meat -- cubed
>> 3/4 cup sour cream
>> 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
>> 2 teaspoons concentrated beef bouillon
>> 1 tablespoon white wine
>> 1 large onion -- chopped
>> 1 clove garlic -- chopped
>> 1 pinch celery salt
>> 1 pinch parsley
>> 1 teaspoon olive oil -- or butter
>>
>> Heat no-stick frying pan at medium heat until butter or oil begins to
>> sizzle. Add beef cubes, garlic and onion.
>> Allow to cook until beef is browned and tender; add wine, bouillon,
>> Worcester Sauce, and spices. Cook until a gravy forms. Remove from
>> heat. Stir in sour cream until mixture is creamy brown.
>> Optional - serve with low-carb pasta.

>I thought Beef Stroganoff was usually made with sliced beef tenderloin,
>quickly cooked, although I guess most any cut of beef could be used.

According to a very dear friend of mine, born & raised in Omsk,
Siberia, you are correct.
She says another part of the story goes that the dish was named by a
chef in honour of his employer, Count Pavel Alexandrovich Stroganov.
The story goes on to say that it created because the Count had lost
most of his teeth and could not eat a regular steak.
Be that as it may, I do make the dish from other than beef tenderloin.
As a matter of fact, I prefer it made with boneless skinless chicken
breast strips, liberally marinated in Vietnamese garlic chili.
My friend says this dish is very good but, it is NOT Stroganov(ff).

Ross
To email, remove the "obvious" from my address.