zxcvbob

Wayne wrote:
> Lacustral wrote:
>
>> I can't eat grains, so I'm planning to start with a non-grain starch,
>> like
>> tapioca starch or arrowroot starch. So I need to add some kind of
>> amylase
>> enzyme.
>> Does the hydrolysis with sulfuric acid that you mentioned, leave residues
>> that are inedible?
>>
>> thanks
>> Laura
>>

> Is your problem with grains the gluten, i.e., celiac disease? If so,
> there are a number of resources out there about brewing gluten free
> beers. Generally these involve using malted white sorgum, malted
> buckwheat, and sometimes rice syrup. You might try this site:
> http://www.mrgoodbeer.com/gf/
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Wayne
> Bugeater Brewing Company

Malted sorghum? I thought that contained lethal amounts of cyanic
glucosides. The levels of cyanide might be reduced to safe levels during
fermentation (I don't know, this is the first time I've heard of using
malted sorghum to make beer), but the original poster is not planning to
ferment it but instead to make syrup. It could be extremely dangerous.

Best regards,
Bob