Old 01-05-2005, 12:26 AM
Jenn Ridley

I cook lots at once and freeze... but have discovered an odd
phenomenon. Some frozen pies, when taken out of the freezer, are not
rock hard, but bend in when pressed, a but like rubber. Not just bend a
little, but a lot. Pastry is hard, filling is much harder than at room
temp, but nothing like ice, hold them firmly and a thumb disappears
into them.

I've checked the freezer temp, its -16C. I know -18 would be ideal, but
16 is what we've got... thats way below freezing.

My number 1 question is can these things be safely eaten, or do I have
to throw them all away? And whats going on? aliens?

What kind of pies? Fruit pie fillings (with sugar and thickeners)
won't freeze solid. Custard-y pies probably won't freeze solid,
either.

Not everything freezes at 32F (or -16C, for that matter). (F'rex, if
you freeze something with alcohol in it, it won't freeze solid, but
will slush up nicely, as the water freezes and the alcohol doesn't).

Stuff lasts longer at freezer temps than at room temps because
bacteria doesn't multiply as fast at freezer temps (many are killed at
freezer temps).

I'd say that you can probably eat the pies safely, but it would help
if you would tell us what kind of pies.
--
Jenn Ridley :