Default Odd freezing problem

Hi

I cook lots at once and freeze... but have discovered an odd
phenomenon. Some frozen pies, when taken out of the freezer, are not
rock hard, but bend in when pressed, a but like rubber. Not just bend a
little, but a lot. Pastry is hard, filling is much harder than at room
temp, but nothing like ice, hold them firmly and a thumb disappears
into them.

I've checked the freezer temp, its -16C. I know -18 would be ideal, but
16 is what we've got... thats way below freezing.

My number 1 question is can these things be safely eaten, or do I have
to throw them all away? And whats going on? aliens?

thanks, NT

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi
>

> I cook lots at once and freeze... but have discovered an odd
> phenomenon. Some frozen pies, when taken out of the freezer, are not
> rock hard, but bend in when pressed, a but like rubber. Not just bend a
> little, but a lot. Pastry is hard, filling is much harder than at room
> temp, but nothing like ice, hold them firmly and a thumb disappears
> into them.
>
> I've checked the freezer temp, its -16C. I know -18 would be ideal, but
> 16 is what we've got... thats way below freezing.
>
> My number 1 question is can these things be safely eaten, or do I have
> to throw them all away? And whats going on? aliens?

What kind of pies?

Vox Humana

ups.com...

Jenn Ridley wrote:
> wrote:
> >I cook lots at once and freeze... but have discovered an odd
> >phenomenon. Some frozen pies, when taken out of the freezer, are not
> >rock hard, but bend in when pressed, a but like rubber. Not just

bend a
> >little, but a lot. Pastry is hard, filling is much harder than at

room
> >temp, but nothing like ice, hold them firmly and a thumb disappears
> >into them.
> >
> >I've checked the freezer temp, its -16C. I know -18 would be ideal,

but
> >16 is what we've got... thats way below freezing.
> >
> >My number 1 question is can these things be safely eaten, or do I

have
> >to throw them all away? And whats going on? aliens?

> What kind of pies? Fruit pie fillings (with sugar and thickeners)
> won't freeze solid. Custard-y pies probably won't freeze solid,
> either.
>
> Not everything freezes at 32F (or -16C, for that matter). (F'rex, if
> you freeze something with alcohol in it, it won't freeze solid, but
> will slush up nicely, as the water freezes and the alcohol doesn't).
>
> Stuff lasts longer at freezer temps than at room temps because
> bacteria doesn't multiply as fast at freezer temps (many are killed

at
> freezer temps).
>
> I'd say that you can probably eat the pies safely, but it would help
> if you would tell us what kind of pies.
> --
> Jenn Ridley :

Theyre both fruit pies, of different types.
One is chopped apple and blackcurrants with an egg milk mix poured
over.
The other is based on fruit juice, with a few bits and pieces to
flavour it, and egg to set it. Neither has any added sugar other than
whats in the fruit (sugar, ick)

So if the effect on the bugs is the same I should be fine...

Thanks Jenn

NT

At the temperatures you have indicated bacterial growth is hugely
reduced.

Water will be solid, anything added to water will tend to reduce its
freezing temperature.

A fruit mixture will tend to break along the surfaces and will appear
bendy.

Be sure when you store things in the freezer to leave an air space
around the item so that the cold air can circulate. Particularly
important when adding a new item to the freezer.

You want to get from room temp to frozen in about 2 hours.

Your fruit pies should be fine.

Check for odor after thawing.

> At the temperatures you have indicated bacterial growth is hugely
> reduced.
>
> Water will be solid, anything added to water will tend to reduce its
> freezing temperature.
>
> A fruit mixture will tend to break along the surfaces and will appear
> bendy.
>
> Be sure when you store things in the freezer to leave an air space
> around the item so that the cold air can circulate. Particularly
> important when adding a new item to the freezer.
>
> You want to get from room temp to frozen in about 2 hours.
>
> Your fruit pies should be fine.
>
> Check for odor after thawing.

I'm still alive!

thanks,
NT

Looks like the Sriracha problem wasn't a problem after all. ImStillMags General Cooking 1 16-07-2014 11:39 PM
Problem with some LP tanks - freezing regulator [email protected] Barbecue 2 09-07-2006 09:47 PM
Ok new problem Musashi Asian Cooking 6 27-09-2005 04:45 PM
pH problem Brian Lundeen Winemaking 6 06-11-2003 03:52 PM
MLF Problem.... Bruce Winemaking 1 03-11-2003 09:30 AM