Martin Golding

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:28:38 -0700, krusty kritter wrote:

> Has anybody ever heard of anything like escabeche in another cuisine?
>
> Escabeche: A mixture of vinegar, oil, herbs and seasonings used to
> preserve or "pickle" foods such as poultry, fish, chiles and other
> vegetables.

It's at least old Roman, Apicius gives a recipe for fish that's fried
and then vinegared. I believe it pops up one way or another in many
Roman (or Italian) related culinary traditions. The amount of cooking
before vinegaring is variable; undercook the fish sufficiently et
voila, ceviche.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | If you boil it, they will come.
DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 | Vancouver, WA