krusty kritter

Default Pez Sierra en Escabeche (Fried Brook Trout)

Has anybody ever heard of anything like escabeche in another cuisine?

Escabeche: A mixture of vinegar, oil, herbs and seasonings used to
preserve or "pickle" foods such as poultry, fish, chiles and other
vegetables.

I don't know what "hasta que acetrine" means, unless it has to do with
frying onions until they turn transparent?

Pez Sierra en Escabeche (Fried Brook Trout)
Ingredientes: (Ingredients
2 libras de pescado sierra limpios y rebanados (2 pounds of trout,
cleaned and sliced)
1 cebolla rebanada (1 sliced onion)
jugo de 3 limones (juice of 3 lemons)
1/2 taza de aqua o caldo de pollo (1/2 cup of water or chicken soup)
5 pimientas negras (5 black peppercorns?)
2 clavos de olor (2 cloves)
1-1/2 tazas de aceite de oliva (1-1/2 cups of olive oil)
1 hoja de laurel (1 bay leaf)
1/4 taza de harina (1/4 cup of flour)
3 dientes de ajo (3 cloves or garlic)
3 hojitas de albaca (3 small basil leaves0
1 cucharada de consomme concentrado (1 tablespoon of concentrated soup)
1/2 taza de vinagre (1/2 cup of vinegar)
20 aceitunas picadas (20 perforated olives)

Preparacion: (Preparation

Ponga a marinar las rebanadas de pescado con el jugo de limon durante
20 minutos.

(Marinate the sliced fish with lemon juice for 20 minutes.)

Despues enharinelas y frialas en aceite hasta que doren.

(Then flour and fry the fish slices in oil until they turn golden.
I suppose you'd want to set the fish aside so you can use the same pan
to make the escabeche.)

Fria la cebolla y el ajo, hasta que acetrine, y agregue el vinagre, los
clavos, la pimienta, el albaca, el laurel, el concentrado de consomme.

(Fry the onion and the garlic until they acetrine?, and add the
vinegar, the cloves, the pepper, the basil, the bay leaf, and the soup
concentrate.)

Dejelo cocinar por 20 minutos.

(Let it cook for 20 minutes.)

Anada las aceitunas y pongalo encima del pescado, y dejelo por 10
minutos a fuego lento tapado.

(Add the olives and place the mixture on top of the fish, cover and
leave it over a slow fire for 10 minutes.)

Martin Golding

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 16:28:38 -0700, krusty kritter wrote:

> Has anybody ever heard of anything like escabeche in another cuisine?
>
> Escabeche: A mixture of vinegar, oil, herbs and seasonings used to
> preserve or "pickle" foods such as poultry, fish, chiles and other
> vegetables.

It's at least old Roman, Apicius gives a recipe for fish that's fried
and then vinegared. I believe it pops up one way or another in many
Roman (or Italian) related culinary traditions. The amount of cooking
before vinegaring is variable; undercook the fish sufficiently et
voila, ceviche.

Martin
--
Martin Golding | If you boil it, they will come.
DoD #236 BMWMOA #55952 SMTC #2 | Vancouver, WA

ot; Sad News; Brook Sheilds :-(((((((( Peter Lucas[_15_] General Cooking 0 30-08-2010 10:48 PM
Pan-Fried Trout And Smoked Trout Ravioli Glasshousejohn Recipes (moderated) 0 14-08-2006 02:55 AM
Camarones En Escabeche 7 Hawks Recipes 0 30-06-2005 02:13 AM
Brook Bond - Taj Mahal Tea Ted Jones Tea 14 05-05-2005 03:27 PM
Brook Bond - Taj Mahal Tea Ted Jones General 4 04-05-2005 11:10 PM