Wavy G

Eastbound and down, loaded up and truckin', we're gonna do what they say
can't be done. We got a long way to go, and a short time to get there.
I'm eastbound, just watch ol' "dejablues" run.

>"The Magnificent *******" > wrote in message
>> In Buffalo, NY (where Buffalo Wings were invented) they don't call them
>> Buffalo Wings. They call them Chicken Wings. Not Buffalo Wings, not
>> Wings, but *Chicken* Wings. To order them any other way brings scorn and
>> derision upon you and labels you as a a tourist.
>>
>> I found this out this past week while I was in Buffalo. Luckily,
>> someone tipped me off about the wings lingo before I made a fool of
>> myself and tried to order Buffalo Wings.
>>
>> So anyway, I thought I would let everyone know this so in case you are
>> going to Buffalo, you'll know how to order wings in a restaurant or bar.

>Er, yeah, like we'd laugh at you here in Philly if you asked for a "Philly
>Cheesesteak". Wait a minute, we wouldn't laugh, we'd sell you the
>cheesesteak and helpfully point out the best attractions and the easiest way
>to get to them.
>
>Shouldn't Buffalo be glad that it's getting any tourists at all?

As a child, on a family vacation in won of the less-fortuneate southern
states, we stopped in to eat at won of the local "dive" restaurants.
Upon viewing the large picture-menus on the wall (apparently for
designed for the illiterate southerners), my sister tried to order a
"coney" (a coney is a chilidog in Cincinnati), and the girl behind the
counter asked with a look of confusion on her face, "What's a coney?"
At first I laughed to myself and thought, "what an idiot!" I then had a
brief philosophical realisation that life, and culture, and logocentrism
exist outside the realm of my own self-absorbed world, which I have
created for myself. I ordered a cheeseburger.