Loki

il Mon, 4 Apr 2005 02:29:30 -0500,
(The Old Bear) ha scritto:

> We're continuing to shop for a new range. I have a personal
> preference for natural gas fueled ranges and ovens but I
> notice that a number of manufacturers are now making "dual
> fuel" ranges with gas burners and electric convection ovens.
>
> Is there any meaningful advantage to this?
>
> I understand that natural gas produces water vapor (and
> carbon dioxide) when it burns and that this makes the
> humidity in gas ovens higher than in their electric
> counterparts. I would assume that this affects the baking
> process for better or worse. What has been your experience?
>
> I could post this to the appliance newsgroup, but I'd
> rather have the opinions of people who actually bake
> and not just technical theory of one versus the other type
> of oven.

Perhaps it's harder to kill yourself with an an electric oven, than
it is with a gas oven. Singed eyebrows would be a faint memory too.
Perhaps thermostats work better in electric ovens. It could be a case
of using what's best for each application. Dry heat for baking, gas
for that easy control of heat on the stove stop. I've also never been
too keen on the idea of all the combustion materials floating around
an oven tainting the food. It may not be a problem but it's my
perception.
--
Cheers,